The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So excited to have our endlers finally! Yay! One of the females is really pregnant and has been since we got her last saturday. They were mailed on wed and got here sat and she's been that same huge size. lol So we were wondering if you can tell by looking at her as to how soon she'd have her babies?

They are so hard to take pics of that I think i'll try to get the tri pod out and maybe try a macro setting and see if we can get better pics? That clearer pic was taken with the macro setting but after that one I could not get anymore clear pics. Hard to do while holding the camera. lol

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Any day now. Don't worry. Soon you will have endlers galore and will be looking for ways to get rid of them. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
She's not kidding between my 2 female mollies I have 150+ babies every month! Good luck!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still no babies! I didn't think she could get much bigger but I think she's gotten even bigger. lol

They were mailed 2 weeks ago today.

Am wondering if my tank is cycled as well. We have been doing water changes and I added the extra filter pad from the 55gal when they got here. But my readings after 2 water changes today is:
Ph 7.2
Ammonia .25
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 40

My water out of the tap is this:
ammonia .25
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20
pH 7.6

What do you guys think?

They are all very active and all over the tank. Seem to be very happy and eating and growing well.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Is the ammonia out of the tap before or after you use dechlor? Our city water treatment plant uses chloramines, so using a simple dechlor breaks the chemical bond and releases the ammonia. All I've ever used to treat my tap water is sodium thiosulfate, which doesn't have any effect on ammonia like Prime or Ace. Haven't lost any fish yet from doing partial water changes.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those readings are before a dechlorinator and tight out of the tap. We've been using tetra aqua safe. I had been told by someone else on I believe it was fish lore that right out of the tap we should have no more than 30 nitrates and that I should contact the city. But this town is so messed up anyway that I hate to have them do anything for fear that the water will end up worse that it was before. But we haven't lost a single fish.

I'll have to check out prime but it's so expensive.

Trying so hard to keep them safe and happy!

Big momma is as fat as ever this morning but still no babies. We absolutely love these endlers we got from you! My son is so excited for babies.

Thanks!

·
Registered
711 Posts
that big female doesn't look pregnant to me. as with most livebearers, endler females will have a blackish area around their vents; it's actually the developing fry. look at the smaller female, she looks like she'll drop before the big one. but don't worry, big girl will be churnin em out by the dozens. seems like endlers are less apt to eat their young than swordtails. in fact, i have a pair of swords who keep the number of endlers fry manageable.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a little while ago I checked on the endler tank and noticed this gold bubble coming out of my endler. Any idea what that is?

She's very pregnant and I figured she was due any day. It seems that that bubble is gone now. I tried to take a little vidoe of this. but now it looks like the black is getting lower in her?

Do you think today is the day?

I'll try and post video when it's done uploading in the next 20 min

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She's still quite big as usual and after that bubble went away the black that I was seeing down lower like it was a baby going to come out went back up. The males are hounding her constantly. But I thought that endlers weren't supposed to eat their young? That was a big thing that drew us to wanting endlers.

I do have a 2.5 gal set up and running with just some anubias and java fern and a little piece of guppy grass that we could put her in but it's not cycled.

Was afraid to move her for fear that it would stress her out to much.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Decided to remove her to the 2.5 gal and added some media from another tank. Really praying I didn't stress her out too much cause she was hard to catch and then immediately went to the top back corner by the filter and we had a hard time finding her and ended up taking the plants out cause we couldn't find her. UGH!!!!

Hope she'll be ok!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the good new is it looks like big momma is doing fine and she had a couple in the 10gal and we netted her out and put her in the 2.5 and she's had about 10 in there and think there are more on the way!

Yay finally babies! My son is so excited too!

thanks everyone for the help!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.