The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank has been running under powered for years when it comes to filter size and flow, I've had 2 Eheim 2215's on a 150 gallon tank. I would say for the first 6 years or so my water always seemed crystal clear and if you disturbed something it would be clear by the next morning. Lately I have found a renewed interest in my tank and started a re-scape in April of this year, but I always had fine particles floating about even after replacing my impellers with a stronger 2217 model.

I deceided to pick up a 2217 and see what happened, it was $130 and I also wanted the 2227 which is biological media only and a $100 more but I was interested in adding more oxygen to my water column like folks with a sump get in order to make life better for everything in the tank, but simplicity and cash won. After installing the 2217 my water is crystal clear again and I was so surprised at the added flow, I mean something has to go or get redirected, it's a whirlpool in there.

I guess everything gets old and Friday during the water change I'll be able to see the difference as the spraybars become emersed, but so far I'm very pleased.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess after all these years the magnets in the motors on the 2215's may be going bad, the water just seems to cascade down into the tank at half full and the new 2217 look as if it's going to blast the silicone from the corners of the tanks, the difference was big.

After the 2217 is seeded I will clean and empty the 2215 and do the old bucket and stop watch to see how much water it is pumping after all these years.

What's your oldest Eheim filter and does it still work properly?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.