The Planted Tank Forum banner

new eheim, ditching the fluval 406

5284 15
Would the 2215 be the equivalent?
Too many noise issues with the 406 over the last couple of years to really continue as the tank lives in my living room. Need something quieter

Got an classes 250 (i think) with a 10g I picked up and have been super impressed.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
I had impeller noise for the first year as well with my Fluval 406 but now i think I found the solution for me. After cleaning the filter this last time, I didn't fill the body of the filter with water before connecting the motor housing. I know this is apparently common knowledge but for me i guess it wasn't.
The filter has been running whisper quiet for over a month!

· Registered
666 Posts
I fill both of mine before reconnecting them and they are totally silent. My tank is in my bedroom, about 15' from the head of the bed. I can stand next to the tank and not hear a thing.

I would contact Fluval and ask them about the problem before spending more money.

· Registered
60 Posts
I fill both of mine before reconnecting them and they are totally silent. My tank is in my bedroom, about 15' from the head of the bed. I can stand next to the tank and not hear a thing.

I would contact Fluval and ask them about the problem before spending more money.
+1. My 2217 is in my den and I don't hear a thing.

· Registered
93 Posts
I have 2 406's running on my 100G and the fan for my lights is 1000 times louder. One is a hair louder than the other but even with two I have to listen for them to hear them. As far as filling them first, the manual says not to, makes it hard to prime them.

· Registered
474 Posts
I have two 306's and one of them chatters a tiny bit... I even replaced the impeller about a year ago hoping that would help, but it didn't really make any difference. What I hear is not super loud though - and if I didn't have another that was dead silent I might not think anything of it.

I have a 2217 and that one is quiet, but it can be a royal PITA to prime compared to the fluvals if you get air in the intake line. Honestly I kind of hate that filter.. because cleaning it is no fun either. It's a great filter while it's running, but getting the initial siphon going and cleaning it just makes it seem like it's from the dark ages.

· Registered
571 Posts
Would the 2215 be the equivalent?
Too many noise issues with the 406 over the last couple of years to really continue as the tank lives in my living room. Need something quieter

Got an classes 250 (i think) with a 10g I picked up and have been super impressed.

I had a 405 never really liked the noisy thing but it worked well, finally sold it for 100 bucks after 2 1/2 years and bought a g160 Eheim.

The 2215 will not even compete with the 406 no output at all in comparison. I have one on my 55 gallon heavily planted with a koralia 450 power head, I also have a 50 with a 2217 along with a koralia 350 very happy with it and another 55 gallon with a koralia 350 and a g160 Eheim awesome filter.

I wouldn't go with anything less than a 2217 to replace your fluval 406 the classic series rocks as far as filtering anything below the 2217 doesn't have much output though.

They say that the 2217 and g160 both filter approximately 160 gallons but the g160 is a monster.

· Registered
1,137 Posts
I can't stand my 2217. I wish I went with a different brand. Yes it's quiet, yes it moves a lot of water. My spray bar squirts half way across my tank when pulled above the waterline. My issue is: the suction at the intake strainer is pathetic. This thing pulls next to nothing debris wise out of the water column. I literally sat and watched a cat hair float within a half inch of the strainer and not get sucked in. No nothing is wrong with the filter it's working how it is supposed to. It's brand new so it doesn't need to be cleaned yet. I could throw a hob filter on the tank and remove more water column debris in 30 minutes than the 2217 did in 3 days. Not very impressed with the eheim classic series at all.

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not too worried about flow I have a koraline nano in the tank as well as a bubble wall that runs after lights out. Helps move some water. Yeah I might add a second eheim of it feels like not enough.
Even a cheap sun sun to help mechanical filter

But I will just be transferring the Seachem matrix media so don't see bio mass as a loss.

Yeah might not be a 1 for 1 but I think it will be ok?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
241 Posts
Have a Eheim professional 3 G160 2075, which is dead silent and does a great job on my 75. It's $205 shipped at kens fish. I've opened it twice now in the three months I've had it and it catches a lot of debris.

· Registered
944 Posts
There's got be something wrong with your 406 to make that much noise. My 206 is so quiet that I have to put my hand on it to tell it running. My issues on that canister is that the locks for the top are prone to wearing out and it make it hard to keep air out. I have to use shims on the top to make it seal tighter. Long term it's as cheap as most of the others out there.

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's got be something wrong with your 406 to make that much noise. My 206 is so quiet that I have to put my hand on it to tell it running. My issues on that canister is that the locks for the top are prone to wearing out and it make it hard to keep air out. I have to use shims on the top to make it seal tighter. Long term it's as cheap as most of the others out there.
Yeah there is def something wrong with it :D
Though I am pretty sure it seals ok around the outside. No air in the outflow.

Pretty sure I have nailed it down to the latches just don't pull the motor head down tight enough and so then the impeller section rattles in there. If i wrap the impeller seal around the edge to give it just a bit more mass, it goes quiet for about a month until things shake up.

Either way, its always been a more mechanical rattle than anything else.

If the eheim on order isn't enough, I have an AC 70 laying around or will grab a cheap sunsun for extra capacity.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.