The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a 3 gal nano with burnt, then petrified Sequoia rock, with one single species, a dwarf low growing hygro.
This is a very easy plant to grow and tend.

It makes a hedge about 2" tall and can easily be maintained. An 8" tall tank has some issue with trimming and upkeep! So such plants are ideal for tiny tanks.

It's not a picky plant as far as light or dosing etc.
Certainly a winner.

I'll have more to sell in about 1-2 weeks.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
count me in. I would love some

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I liken it to dwarf Lobelia, except even easier and forms a nicer carpet effect and is easier to trim.

So if you have a bad case of HLD and Collertoris, such tanks make good sense.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
803 Posts
Me, three! I'd LOVE some of that! I mostly have ten gallon tanks, and a few even smaller. This plant would be a boon for me for covering up the leggy bottoms of taller stems in a couple places. Cool!

·
Registered
159 Posts
with the rocks in there, it makes it look like an arial shot of some mountains with a rain forest treetops all around.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The tank is tiny, I can hold it almost in 1 hand.
Some one told me it ought to have 3 rocks due to Japanese balance principles.

That is complete and utter baloney. There is no such "rule".
That must be some Western myth is all I can think.

A pair or a single stone can invoke a nice feel. The plant layout is easy to change around also. I'll trim things back and add other stones or wood later.
Such methods in scaping make things very interesting.

Once you decide on a hard scape, you may add color and other plants to base layer.

I did not spend much time on this tank in the last 5 months, nor in the photo's, just toss the weed in and allowed it to cover things. I guess I ought to do a nicer effort on the scaping though.

I have several tanks, all tiny, that have different rock or wood layouts, I'm trying to use a different material in each tiny tank.

Okho stone for a 6 gal. Cypress knees for another, the seiryu rock for the others. I have neat Manzy tree I found 2 weeks ago, but it would be best suited to a 40-60 gal tank.

The 2 x 1.5 gal micro palm tanks are just too small to really do long term scaping in using the materials I've tried other than as a non CO2 method.

This 3 gallon nano is about the smallest size tank I'd consider for scaping.

You'll note I tend to do extremes.

Tonnes of plant species, then only one.
Huge massive tanks, then tiny ones.
Extremely high light, then next to none.
Very dense fish loading, then none at all.
Rich sediments, then inert.
Rich water column, then none at all.
Few stones, then lots.
Little wood, then a forest.

But that way you get a good idea of the trade offs and can find a nice middle ground and can effectively help folks with things in between.

The plant is Excel friendly also, I did two doses to see about 3 months ago at 2x the labeled rate.

I also have 3 other rare plants no one has ever done much with, yet..........
Another odd hygro, it's taller, about a tad wider than Rotala indica and easy to deal with, does not bolt to the surface.

A unique deep Burgundy colored liverwort that attaches to wood, somewhat weedy like Riccia, does not pearl like that unfortunately. It's from Indonesia.

Then Elgeria.

I also have a massive ruffly Potamogeton from an alpine lake(Packard Lake in the Sierra Butte's region) in CA.

I think the narrower taller Hygro is being used around the Bay area a fair amount, but not the others really.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The liver wort is neat, however it is very weedy.
Worst that Riccia IME.
I'm questioning whether it should be brought into the trade, much like Bladder wort, it's tough to get rid of.

Excel dosing 3-4 days straight will kill it though.

I may redo my 20 gal with the dwarf hygro though.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
The liver wort is neat, however it is very weedy.
Worst that Riccia IME.
I'm questioning whether it should be brought into the trade, much like Bladder wort, it's tough to get rid of.

Excel dosing 3-4 days straight will kill it though.

I may redo my 20 gal with the dwarf hygro though.

Regards,
Tom Barr
If it's that weedy do you think you could send me some? I'll never complain... Maybe I could try and figure out how to make it grow slower...

So If you can spare some weedy liverwort please let me know, I have 2 willow mosses not very present in the trade you might like to play with. One is dieing/regrowing now though. I think it's me not fertilizing... Should probably pm you or someone or make a thread about that:icon_lol:

Thanks,
-Andrew

PS. Excel normal dose? Overdose? or like 4x Dose? Because I dose excel in my 10g where I probably would want to put it... (Got any pictures?)

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
looks nice, but a bit untidy for my liking
It's a scale issue also, this tank is a mere 3 gallons.
The leaves are better suited to 20+ gallon tanks.

I like it because many Cryptic fish can work themselves into the bed without much issue.

I think given the nice attributes, I'll redo a 20 gallon I have with it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Tom, you could probally make an invert or small fish farm with that plants, the babies would have all kinds of hiding room.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.