The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, even though my success with the Cherry, Bumble Bee, Red Crystal & other shrimp in the 10 galllon was less than stellar, I just got 4 interesting little critters for the 58. They're called "Mexican Dwarf Crayfish". The latin is Cambarellus patzcuarensis "orange". They only get to be about 1.5". They're bright orange, so they stand out nicely against the plants. There's a buish-brown version, too, but they just were a little too plain for me. I hope they'll get along with the Amanos. So far, so good. They all made it through the night & although they're a little territorial, they didn't seem interested in going after anuything else in the tank.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CPOs rock! Wish I had a place for some! Make sure each one has a hiding place well away from the others.
That's why I only got 4 for a 58 gallon. They're funny.They get so uppity when the Amanos come crawling around. They put their little claws up and lean forward as if to say "Step off! This is MY spot!"

I don't have any pics of my own, but here's what they look like:

Tommy

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They don't even pay attention to my Amanos. If anything, they just wave their claws as if to say "My spot!" & the Amanos move on. I originally got 6 of the Crayfish, although I never see more than 2 at a time. I've never seen any evidence of carnage & I find sheds once in a while, so I guess they just hide... a lot...

Tommy

·
Registered
706 Posts
they are fun guys. never witnessed them eating anything that either wasnt already dead or on its way out. the claws are just so small i cant see them really catching other inhabitants. they do get uppity with each other though, so give room and hiding spaces for the losers of their daily territorial battles. i have several breeding colonies, and i keep neocaridinas with them only to double up use of the tank, since they both love the same water. i keep CPO's with blue pearls, RCS, and yellow shrimps. i also keep c. montezumae with yellows.

used to have a colony of the american dwarf cray (C. shulfeldtii) in my main planted tank, but they got wiped out eventually by the resident dwarf puffer and my botia siddimunki and darter tetras. the adults were safe, but the newborns are pretty dumb, and would wave and stand their ground when confronted by the larger fish, easy pickings for the DP and botias....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.