The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got this new piece of driftwood for my 55 that I thought it was pretty cool at the time... But now I think it's kinda... eh... It was pretty cheap though. I liked the interesting curves it had and different angles on it.

The other side... not a fan of it this way.

Is this piece interesting for aquascaping you guys think? Or more of a dud?

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
It's not bad at all. I would move it off center, either right or left, and plant your stems around it. It will look even better in combination with similar pieces. It will also look good with longish mop of Java moss trailing off the top, like an island.
I rarely end up with a single piece, more often with 3 or 4 arranged together.

Reactions: irishspy

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
One of the hard parts is deciding what looks best to you. I'm kind of into things like arches for the fish to swim under and through. But then there is never a wrong way if it is what you like. One saving grace is that it can still be changed lots of times before the plants all get too tight. Gives you a good excuse to just set and look at the tank for a while?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that won't be the final placement of it. I kind of just plopped it in there to get an idea what it would look like. There was actually a few different angles I was using trying out when I first bought by flipping it upside down. But when I tried it in the tank, just didn't look natural at all.

Anyone know if this is Malaysian driftwood or what kind it might be? At the LFS, it was just labelled as driftwood.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So... I got some even MORE driftwood that IMO is much better and has much more character. Luckily these 2 pieces were also only 18 dollars each! How do you guys think I should try placing these? Ideas?

the other side

Laying down

another view laying down

the other piece

I was thinking of trying to try and put them together.. kinda like this... does this look horrible? I like the way it looks

·
Registered
852 Posts
put it the way YOU like it! that's what it's about.As far as what kind of wood,it all looks like malaysian to me.

I like the way those pieces are tied together,looks very interesting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts