The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few weeks ago I got 4 new discus. one died after getting stuck in some really thick folliage. Now I have three. should I get more? If I do get more will there be agression to the newcommer?

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
There will be aggression shown. Take note that any new fish are considered as intruders. Find out the cause before you buy new ones as previously mentioned.:smile: I doubt the discus died because it was stuck to the thick foliage.:smile:

·
Registered
376 Posts
im sure you already know but... your temperature is around 85F right? doing water changes daily? or at the worst, every 2 days? acclimating them properly?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
How big is your tank?

What size are the discus you added?

The discus that died, did it show any signs prior to it's death? Like hiding in a corner or dark color?

I also agree that the discus did not die because it was stock in the foliage. I would have to think it died and secluded itself from others, which happened to be in the foliage. I would have to check the water parameters.

If you have juvenile discus, then more frequent water changes are required, since they need to be feed frequently. Otherwise, they will do well with regular weekly WCs. I have adult and sub-adult discus and are doing well, which are even breeding, in my tank with regular WCs every 4-6 days.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I keep the three discus in a 75 gallon tank at about 82 degrees.my ammonia is 0. my nitrite is 0 and my nitrate is about 7. I do 50% water changes once a week. the discus that died had no signs of death and was getting along fine with the others then I couln't find it and looked everywhere. I finally found it stuck between a thich stand of some course hanging anubius roots. I actually had to hack out a whole section just to get the corpse out.

·
Registered
888 Posts
the discus that died had no signs of death and was getting along fine with the others then I couln't find it and looked everywhere. I finally found it stuck between a thich stand of some course hanging anubius roots. I actually had to hack out a whole section just to get the corpse out.
It appears your discus may have struggled to free itself. The stress brought by its struggle could have easily killed it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Id add @ least two simultaneously to spared the agro and make sure thay are as big or bigger than your current discus.

Its Worth upping your water change schedule to match your increased Bi Load.

P.S. Make sure you QT them for at lest 2 week or it could all go t*ts up very very quickly.

Take a look @ www.simplydiscus.com for more advice.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hello its been many months since I last posted and things have gone worse. a while after I posted last my heater broke and the entire tank reached about 98 degrees. all my cories died, all my ottos died and one discus died. after that I replaced my cories, my ottos and my heater but hesitated replacing the discus. after a while one of the two remaining discus started to stop eating as much and lost a lot of weight it finally died today. My last discus is gorgeous, has beautiful colors, eats reguarily and I am wondering If it was just a spell of bad luck and whether or not I should try replacing the three discus I lost?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Sorry about the misfortune and loss of fish. Was the surviving discus aggressive towards the other discus? If so, the other's may have been bullied to death.

Where did you buy the discus?

If you plan to add more, it's best to add another small group of 3-4 discus.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
all the discus I got were really kind to each other and never really seamed to fight. I bought my discus at living sea aquarium. I believe the breeder's organization is (was) called chicago discus. I think Ill just be brave and take the next step and purhase three more and hope for the best!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
will neon tetras last long in a 82degree tank? I thought cardinal tetras were the ones who lived in heat.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm fairly new to discus myself, but i would suggest reading up on Simply Discus.com. From what i've read, a lone discus will not be happy. It appears that you may need a critical mass of 5 discus to minimize aggression. I'm sure there are exceptions though.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had a lone angelfish for years, always seemed happy... but I always felt guilty for not getting him a friend. I'm pretty sure Ill get him 3 new discus friends this week and hope for the best

1 - 20 of 21 Posts