The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about starting a new dirt tank i have eco complete right now and i was wondering if i could take all of my plants and fish and eco complete out and put in dirt and cap it, i was wondering if that would hurt the fish cause i am hating my eco complete.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,731 Posts
This is what I would do:

1) Remove the fish (Bucket + Air)
2) Remove Plants
3) Remove Water (Buckets etc)
4) Remove Eco-Complete
5) Add prepared Dirt
6) Cap With Eco-Complete
7) Add Plants
8) Add Water
9) Add Fish

*Keeping the same filter and water is vital.

*Expect ammonia spike, battle with x4 50% water changes during the first 2 weeks.

Do this and your fish should be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,186 Posts
Single day setup using all the water, plants and other materials from the 20 long setting up the new 29g.


1 1/2" of mud pudding.



Capped with the black grit and planted. The crypts will fill this tank.



Albinos with a black substrate have nowhere to hide LOL


Founding member in The Fraternity of Dirt

A single WC of 20g was done 5 days after the reset.
Two weeks into the tank change the cycle never stumbled using everything from the 20L.
The filter was cleaned after that second week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,186 Posts
did you use the same water?
About 16g of it transferred over in the swap. Don't clean or wipe down anything during the transfer. Bio-film (good bactor) coats everything in the tank. Prepping for the transfer I had cleaned the filter about 2 weeks before the swap and cleaned it again 2 weeks after. Worked fine but I did test the water everyday the first week. Never saw any ammonia so nothing stumbled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
About 16g of it transferred over in the swap. Don't clean or wipe down anything during the transfer. Bio-film (good bactor) coats everything in the tank. Prepping for the transfer I had cleaned the filter about 2 weeks before the swap and cleaned it again 2 weeks after. Worked fine but I did test the water everyday the first week. Never saw any ammonia so nothing stumbled.
k thanks for the help
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top