The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got 10 denison barbs in the mail. All arrived alive and look pretty spunky. Too bad they are in the dark acclimating. I can't wait to see them tomorrow in good lighting after they settle in a bit.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first time I saw one they costed $75 a fish. Today they are comparatively cheap. Back then of course they were wild collected and 3 inches long. My new ones are going to need some grow out.

·
Registered
945 Posts
How big of tank are you putting them? They a very active fish and can eat up tank space fast. Just me but I would at least want 100 gallon for ten.

Best of luck and as they grow they get more colorful.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These will ultimately go into a 75 or 125. I always buy extras for the grow out stage and pick the best examples for my final display. I'll have them growing out in a 72 gal bowfront. I'll sell or cull the extras as needed. Getting them this small I am sure they are captive bred and not all of them will achieve maximum size or color.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll get some when my wife gets home with a better camera. I actually just got to see them with the lights on. They all look spunky but maybe a little malnourished. I just gave them some nls grow and they took it. I'll put them on 3 light feeding of that a day and fatten them up a bit. I don't see any severe deformities yet and some are showing red in their nose. All survived the night and that is the biggest hurdle.

·
Registered
625 Posts
My tanks are all cool and highly oxygenated without co2 added. I don't keep hardly anything these days except temperate cyprinids. Since my last goldfish died my only exception is a lone dojo loach.

Here's the pic. The one in the middle right may be deformed. His tail is a bit janked anyway. We'll see if he grows out of it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update... All 10 are still alive. I was unsure of one that just hung out in the corner by himself. He was taking food and wasn't clamping his fins. I put a mag float between him and the glass and now he's schooling with the others. Maybe he was looking at his reflection? All are eating greedily so hopefully they'll look fat and colorful for my next pics.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I just got 10 denison barbs in the mail. All arrived alive and look pretty spunky. Too bad they are in the dark acclimating. I can't wait to see them tomorrow in good lighting after they settle in a bit.
Where did you get them from? LiveAquaria.com

·
Registered
595 Posts
I got them directly from a fish farm. He sells on aquabid under the username 90125. His feedback is good and he packages his fish excellently. My only complaint was that the fish looked a bit lean. Do you live in Florida SpaceLord?
Yes, I live in Florida. How about you?

Is that the location of the fish farm you bought from?

Thanks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Is it bad to have Co2 in a tank with a Denson barb?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think co2 is bad in any tank that the fish are the main focus and lots of flow is desired. If you want to showcase plants with a light fish load its the cat's ass.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Yes very cool fish. They have them at my LFS that I saw today that was 12 dollars for one fish, or 3 for thirty-six.

I've purchased them in the past from Petsmart for like 8 bucks and always had luck with them. They always lived. Must be pretty hardy to be able to withstand petsmart.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.