The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several trial and errors with figuring out the setup and planting everything, it failed. The wood piece I thought was anchord floated up and completely messed upmy bision. I had to pull everything out and start over. So after more frustration I settled on this setup. Ill be adding a 1 or 2 more plants but prettu much finished. After a few weeks ill look into adding shrimp and fish.
Plant Purple Flower Flowerpot Houseplant
Plant Houseplant Purple Liquid Drinkware
Plant Pet supply Aquatic plant Terrestrial plant Houseplant

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice pico, but isn't it too small for fish.
I see cylinders this size (and sometimes smaller) on insta from Japanese aquarists who keep fish in them, usually medaka or tetra, sometimes betta. I know the western aquarium community in general frowns on this, but I really wish I could read Japanese to get an idea of their reasoning behind keeping them..

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I see cylinders this size (and sometimes smaller) on insta from Japanese aquarists who keep fish in them, usually medaka or tetra, sometimes betta. I know the western aquarium community in general frowns on this, but I really wish I could read Japanese to get an idea of their reasoning behind keeping them..
So you actually think there is sound logic behind this? Something we in the western world don't understand?

·
Super Moderator
17,505 Posts
Most of the Sono bowls and vases are much larger than 2 gallons/7.5 liters. Think 10 gallons/38 liters+.

But it's not an East vs. West thing. It's widely accepted around the world that keeping fish in tiny vessels with no swimming room - as would be the case in this 2gal vase/pitcher - is unethical and cruel. Seeing something on social media doesn't mean anything, really. Same for YouTube. It's mostly for show, clicks, likes, engagement.

A small container like this, once well-established, grown in and mature could support a few shrimp and snails. But no fish.

I use smaller volumes like this for shrimp but they don't live in such cramped conditions permanently. They're primarily used for targeted breeding or temporarily housing specific shrimp until they move into larger tanks. Fish? Maybe in an emergency. But even the tiniest Heterandria formosa aren't suited for such tanks.

I don't know, honestly. I'm too new to the hobby myself to say for sure.

Here's one of the posts I was talking about. This guy keeps a lot of these bottles and has a YouTube channel. http://instagr.am/p/BztJKn3ptiQ/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Most of the Sono bowls and vases are much larger than 2 gallons/7.5 liters. Think 10 gallons/38 liters+.
Ah, thank you, I had no idea. I found it really hard to find out what the capacity of any of their stuff is so I always assumed it was tiny. Where do people get such huge glassware? I've tried looking in my country but it seems really hard to find

·
Super Moderator
17,505 Posts
Where do people get such huge glassware? I've tried looking in my country but it seems really hard to find
At aquarium-specific retailers. Usually more specialized shops than big box. But they're almost always easier to find in the UK, Australia and Asia than in North America. Quite a few EU retailers, as well. Can usually find them in shops that sell ADA and ADA-like products.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Here's one of the posts I was talking about. This guy keeps a lot of these bottles and has a YouTube channel. http://instagr.am/p/BztJKn3ptiQ/
Yeah, I'm not sure why you would think because a guy on instagram keeps fish in tiny bottles makes it OK, As mentioned he's doing it for other reasons. In addition to the small space any fish going in there would have to deal with drastic changes that can occur very easily in tiny bodies of water.

Also in this particular case the pitcher has most of the space vertically, most fish don't swim that way in addition there is a large amount of the 2 Gallons used up by substrate/hardscape.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been keeping picos for over a decade. The issue isnt always the amount of space but how an aquarium container is. A squred container with corners forces fish to stop and turn. Round bowls and containers allow for fish to turn and swim uninterupted. Tiny fish and shrimp will be going in. But your talking about ones the size of galaxy rasboras who dont grow even up to a full inch. You could even keep chineese algae eater or smaller as they arent active column swimmer, But shrimp would be better.

This tank was my pico reef. I kept 1 to 2 fish in. Aggression can be the main issue. Currently my wifes fish bowl roughly is 3 gallons, relooking at pitcher and corrected by wife lol this dispenser is actually 2.5g total so need to update title.

·
Super Moderator
17,505 Posts
I have been keeping picos for over a decade. The issue isnt always the amount of space but how an aquarium container is. A squred container with corners forces fish to stop and turn. Round bowls and containers allow for fish to turn and swim uninterupted. Tiny fish and shrimp will be going in. But your talking about ones the size of galaxy rasboras who dont grow even up to a full inch. You could even keep chineese algae eater or smaller as they arent active column swimmer, But shrimp would be better.

This tank was my pico reef. I kept 1 to 2 fish in. Aggression can be the main issue. Currently my wifes fish bowl roughly is 3 gallons, relooking at pitcher and corrected by wife lol this dispenser is actually 2.5g total so need to update title.
The length of time you've been keeping something doesn't change anything here for the better, really. May even make matters worse because you should know better by now. That may sting to hear but that's entirely too small for freshwater fish.

Danio margaritatus, though small, need lots of horizontal swimming space and ideally way more than 2.5 gallons. A standard 10-gallon tank is probably the smallest I would consider. Ideally something with more swimming room than that. And Gyrinocheilus aymonieri? Try 30-40 gallons at minimum. Just because you can fit something into a specific container doesn't mean it's not inherently cruel.

Keeping coral in a small container is relatively easy because you can do 100% water changes every week without much worry. And some marine fish can live in smaller tanks of water - though, not many.

Highly encourage you to put in some more effort before suggesting it's fine for anyone (yourself included) to keep fish in tiny containers. It may seem fine or fun to you but it's going to be frowned upon here and elsewhere. People will continue to chime in to tell you what you're doing is wrong. So be prepared.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The length of time you've been keeping something doesn't change anything here for the better, really. May even make matters worse because you should know better by now. That may sting to hear but that's entirely too small for freshwater fish.

Danio margaritatus, though small, need lots of horizontal swimming space and ideally way more than 2.5 gallons. A standard 10-gallon tank is probably the smallest I would consider. Ideally something with more swimming room than that. And Gyrinocheilus aymonieri? Try 30-40 gallons at minimum. Just because you can fit something into a specific container doesn't mean it's not inherently cruel.

Keeping coral in a small container is relatively easy because you can do 100% water changes every week without much worry. And some marine fish can live in smaller tanks of water - though, not many.

Highly encourage you to put in some more effort before suggesting it's fine for anyone (yourself included) to keep fish in tiny containers. It may seem fine or fun to you but it's going to be frowned upon here and elsewhere. People will continue to chime in to tell you what you're doing is wrong. So be prepared.
Lol, i had to look at the chinese algae eater again, realized I miss ID'd what i had a while back. It grows way to big for this tank. Now I have to figure out what it was. Good catch.

Not sure how time which goes with research in my terms means nothing? I actually have never really been a rule follower on most things in the aquarium hobby as 9 times out of 10 i find its miss information or proven wrong. Most of fish keeping is mostly opinions. It wasnt until close to just a couple years ago where even pico tanks were frowned upon for coral and any livestock and not to do 100 percent water changes. I am a bit confused also as you say keeping reef fish in small container is fine but not freshwater. In reality, few fish we keep come from areas even the size of the large aquariums. Some people believe no fish should be in any aquarium. Most sites when reffering to fish space room say recomended and those very. Now granted putting in a fish that grows over an inch in my tank would be bad.

I see people twlling others the same thing even in large tanks. Not to keep certain fish that grows big. Example, i see small 2 inch tangs in a 40 gallon being grown out. People stating its wrong for a tang to be in a 40 even at 2 inches but have an 8 inch tang in a 90 gallon. I have never been one to follow rules so im always going to see vonflicts when attempting things. When I see issues or problems then I evaluate to correct. My other tank with shrimp I have gotten great advice on here and had been helped by a few people to rethink things. Its all about learning what works. Now to figure out what that algae eater was because that to me would definetly be a nono for this lol.

·
Super Moderator
17,505 Posts
I actually have never really been a rule follower on most things in the aquarium hobby as 9 times out of 10 i find its miss information or proven wrong.
🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️

Nothing mentioned here by me or others is misinformation or proved inaccurate. It's tried and true. You're welcome to put in some effort and actually fire up your googler. But continuing to spread misinformation or promote unethical and cruel practices is something we'll shut down really quickly.

I am a bit confused also as you say keeping reef fish in small container is fine but not freshwater.
Re-read what I wrote. Use context clues. I said "some" marine fish. Not all. Then said, "though, not many." Because some marine fish are suited for smaller environments based on their physiology and behavior.

In reality, few fish we keep come from areas even the size of the large aquariums.
That's wildly inaccurate. Most salt water fish come from the ocean and huge bodies of water. Same for most freshwater fish - including Medaka and Betta. The average puddle of water is way larger than even a hundred gallons and small streams are truly massive when compared to an aquarium - and also have constantly refreshing water supplies.

Now to figure out what that algae eater was because that to me would definetly be a nono for this lol.
None of them are suited for such a small volume of water. Literally none. Not Otocinclus, not any. Nothing "lol" about it.

Not sure how time which goes with research in my terms means nothing?
If you've been in the hobby for a decade and can't figure out that keeping fish - even tiny fish - in ridiculously small containers is unethical and cruel, I don't know what to tell you. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. It's not rocket science or even complicated. Use some common sense at the very least.

And on that note, I'm closing your thread. Promotion of intentionally cruel practices is not permitted.

Update: Aaaaand you're suspended for attempting to create drama and defying moderators. Just nonsensical behavior to create a another thread in attempt to attack/insult the moderation team for daring to tell you not to promote cruel practices and warning you to follow our acceptable use policy - to which you agreed upon becoming a member. At this point, you're just trolling. You know better. Act like it.

Update 2: Now permabanned. Creating duplicate accounts in attempt to subvert suspension is the last straw. Find a new hobby that doesn't involve cruelty to animals you keep and nastiness toward forum guidelines.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.