The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm considering buying the new Coralife T5HO 30" setup for my 20 long. Problem is, it comes with one 10000K bulb and one actinic bulb, so I'll need to replace the actinic before using it for plants. Problem is, where can I get a 30" 31W bulb to replace this one? I'm looking for something like a 6700K to pair with the 10000K, but as long as it grows plants I don't really care.

I've checked Oceanic's website, but they don't have any T5HO bulbs listed yet, just the T5NO ones. Big Al's doesn't seem to have them yet either. Any ideas?

·
Registered
706 Posts
i emailed coralife and they responded that no spare bulbs and their pricing will be available for a couple of months at least. so even going 10/10 is not possible right now unless a retailer is willing to swap bulbs from 2 fixtures in store.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, that sucks. So even if I put an 30" 18W bulb in, it would still give off 18W of light, and not 31W? I'm not real technologically gifted, if you haven't figured it out yet ;)

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Man, that sucks. So even if I put an 30" 18W bulb in, it would still give off 18W of light, and not 31W? I'm not real technologically gifted, if you haven't figured it out yet ;)
something tells me that the normal output bulb would put off more light in the high output fixture. even if it's just better reflectors...

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
So where do they recommend getting replacement bulbs when the bulbs burn out?

I've never seen anyone carry 30" T5HOs...
you just won't be able to get them for a few months.

Have you considered buying a different light fixture? Perhaps you'll find something better.
that's the only 30" T5HO fixture with bulbs that go all the way to the ends of the fixture.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you considered buying a different light fixture? Perhaps you'll find something better.
that's the only 30" T5HO fixture with bulbs that go all the way to the ends of the fixture.
Yup, that's pretty much the main reason I like this one. I would really like to go with a Tek or Catalina, but Teks are so much more expensive and the Catalinas only use 24" bulbs.

Maybe I'll just order this fixture and throw a 30" 18W Colormax bulb in there for now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts