The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife alerted me to this thread on the reef forums:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1739455

Basically, the poster takes a Marina (by Hagen) 10g tank kit and takes the top cover off and discovers that its rimless! Looks like really nice beveled edges with good silicone work.

I've seen a few of these kits at the LFS. Maybe I should pick one up.

-Charlie

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think I've seen those at a LFS nearby, I'll see if the bigger sizes are the same deal. But I would definitely see how much they bow without the rim before filling it with plants and fish.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Saw this today after the post. These tanks are very nice. No ADA but no AGA/Aqueaon either. Somewhere inbetween. You could defineatly make a great tank and never feel you need to upgrade this. I am considering one to replace my current 10 gallon, which I want to redo soon.

Note-The tank is not available according to my LFS seperate. There are two versions, one with the incondesent bulbs, one with a 17 watt tube. The incondesent is the obvious choice if you plan to use the hood, the 17 watt could work for very low light and save you some money on a clean DIY fixture.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
So I ended up buying the 10 gallon. It was the size I wanted but you can get Do Aqua 5ish gallon for the same price if you plan on ditching all the stuff it comes with. The silicone is better than my generic 10 gallon but no where close to ADA/Do Aqua.

The hood does nothing structually. Infact, without the filter, it doesn't even fit right. I would not be concerned about it structually. I filled it and it is no different than my rimmed 10. Just to update anyone who is interested. Pretty quality setup, the bottom rim is slightly uglier, IMO, than a standard AGA.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You have to sand the edges down with sandpaper and be diligent with the razorblade to remove all of the silicone. It can be done.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
The nice thing about the Marina tanks is that it has better edges on the side as well. You don't risk scratching the sides like you would on a standard 10 gallon. They are not pricey for a complete kit but if you just want the tank, it is going to cost more than buying just a 10 gallon tank. If you had use for the equipment, it is not a problem. I also like the black silicone and it is better than the AGA, but no ADA.

I don't know if Albany Aquarium in Berkeley has mail order but they have some nice rimless tanks. I don't know the smallest but they go up to 10 gallons. They don't have a seam on the front edges. This looks cleaner but also gives the bowfront kind of weird optics but to an extreme. Same price at about $54.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I actually just set up the 5 gal version of this tank. I love it. I got it from my LFS for $33.50 and am using the filter that comes with it as well. I like that the filter is slim and it's perfect for shrimp right out of the box. The motor is in the tank which I like since I do not need a heater this way. Defiantly a great option for someone who wants the ADA look, but not the price.

Water Plant Vertebrate Green Pet supply

Pet supply Gas Water Wood Glass

Water Plant Green Pet supply Terrestrial plant

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.