The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i got new bulbs that were recommended to me as good for growing plants. It wasn't too bad when i only had one plant bulb and then the bulb that the hood came with (which gave off a kind of red tone and helped neutralize the green) and now that i have two plant bulbs (which is better for my plants) my fish don't look as bright and the whole tank has a greenish cast. The bulbs i got are called "Coralife Nutrigrow" T8 bulbs. So, i was thinking maybe i could run one of these and then something different that would also be good for plants but a different colour and would help to bring out my fish. It would also be nice if the tank was a little brighter. These bulbs are kind of dim. I have tiger barbs. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Yeah sure, that should be great. Make sure to get the right size but other than that, I would just go with all those. You will get no red, green, or blue hue, as these will just be white, which in my opinion looks the best, but again that's all personal preference.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I've found that 6500-6700K bulbs tend to make the tank look yellowish. A good way to counteract yellow or greenish hues is to use something with a higher spectrum, like a 10,000K bulb. It's more blue heavy and tends to even out the colors in the tank (To my eyes at least). This is actually a pretty commonly used set up.

Any light that you can see is going to be good for your plants (maybe not green so much as most of that gets reflected by the plant). Just find a color combination you like and use it. It's not worth getting hung up on the spectrum.

6500K bulbs are usually the brightest (highest lumen output) at least for common flourescents, although light that is more blueish looks brighter to some people. Bulbs that are typically sold as "plant grow bulbs" or under similar names usually peak in the blue and red (They usually give out a light that looks purple, or pinkish.) spectra so the light is in theory the best for photsynthesis. The problem is that they usually have notably lower intensity which offsets most of the efficiency. In other words, "plant grow bulbs" are really something of a sales gimmick in many cases. Any high intensity bulb that isn't some oddball color (actinics, black lights, etc) will grow plants in a pretty similar fashion.

When I first started growing plants, due to my own ignorance, I was using 18,000K bulbs and my plants grew just fine. The tank looks a heck of a lot better and more natural with lighting between 10,000K and 5,000K though.

Edit;
I looked at the link you posted, and I believe I have the T5 version of that same light on one of my tanks right now, coupled with a 10,000K bulb. The combo looks really good. I find the light from that bulb to be a bit yellow by itself though. It's supposed to look like natural sunlight, but I apparently like unnatural sunlight better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.