The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been thinking of keeping Bolivian Rams for about a month and finally decided to get them.

I got 5 BRs from a LFS called Midway Tropical Fish & Pets, it's a great fish store don't listen to the people on yelp, they sell GBRs, GgoldRs, and Bolivian Rams all for $7 ea.

Anyways I love the fish I got them yesterday and they're already nicely colored and swimming around the tank.

How many males and how many females do you think I have?

Here's a video of them from this morning: http://youtu.be/gJ89YS5x1aQ
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Hi Andrew.

I'm not sure that they are sex-able with the pictures provided; the video is a little more helpful. Best guess.....two males; two females; 1 unknown

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks, that sounds right. It looks kinda like I have two pairs already and the one that I have no clue about isn't paired up

·
Registered
588 Posts
Those guys have different patterns than I've seen before. I like them. If you've got the pairs already you might want to find another home for that last one. Wouldn't want him getting picked on by all of the others. What size tank are you keeping them in?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right now I have them in a 20 Long but as soon as I can find a good deal on a tank in good condition I'll get a 55 Gallon tank for them to go in. I'll probably get a few more when I do that too. How many could I have in a 55 Gallon tank? And I'm not sure on the pairs quite yet, I'm positive at least one pair has been made because the one I'm most sure is a female and the one I'm most sure is a male have been following each other around the tank all day, I haven't seen them get more than 6" apart today. Thinking about it more i'm pretty sure the other two I thought were paired up aren't a pair, I think they were just eating bloodworms in the same spot for a few minutes

·
Registered
442 Posts
you have a Petco near you? Right now they're doing their dollar a gallon sale. you could get a brand new 55g for 55 bucks!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I wouldn't keep more than two pairs in a 55, one pair for each side. They get pretty aggressive when it comes time to spawn. That's just my opinion.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you have a Petco near you? Right now they're doing their dollar a gallon sale. you could get a brand new 55g for 55 bucks!
I know but then you still have to get all the stuff that comes with it, like the filter, heater, hood, light, gravel, etc... It works out to be a lot cheaper if you find someone with a full setup, that's in good shape, on craigslist. I've found great deals on there before, like a 125 w/setup for only $160, I just haven't been able to take advantage of any of them yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts