The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I purchased a right deal! 4ft tank with custom made metal stand, heater, filter and light. Only £60. Its not what you know its who you know. It took me a good 3-4 hours to get it cleaned out and filled up with heater and filter in and running. It is a rimless glass tank so for a bit of DIY I used black tape for a cool looking rim. Im really surprised how bright the tank is even without the light on.

I've got big plans for this tank. Lots and lots of plants :)

Clinopodium brownie
Gymnocoronis spilanthoides
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Limnophila rugosa
Staurogyne rubescens
Marsilea crenata

The plants I have listed I haven't used yet, but plan to. Could you tell me your experience with them?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Are you planning on setting this up as low tech/ no-CO2, or high tech with CO2? Quite a few of the species you listed probably won't do well without CO2. I'd take a look at the plant list stickied at the top of this forum if you want to stick with a low tech setup.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the reply. I wasn't sure if co2 was really necessary mainly because I have never used it. So are you saying with some of these plants it wouldn't work out well?
Have you used any of these plants low tech before?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Since I personally only set up low light/low tech/non-CO2 tanks, the only plant on your list I've personally kept is the Hydrocoytle. Did well for me. I intentionally stick with easier species, as I prefer my tanks to be as low maintenance as possible.

You're certainly welcome to try your hand with them all and see how things go! There's always exceptions to rules. :smile: I just want to warn you starting off so that you don't get too discouraged and give up if those particular plants don't do well for you.

If you run a forum search for the other species, you can look up the experience other hobbyists have with them. All the rest have the reputation of being a bit more demanding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts