The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Figured I post it here real quick. I will add to this thread periodically...

New Scape for ADA MINI-M (no title yet)

Seriyou Stone

Manzinita Driftwood

Flora:
Hygrophilia pinatifida
Vesicularia montagnei 'Xmas moss'
Taxiphyllum sp. 'Peacock moss'
Bolbitis heroclita
Eleocharis acicularis 'belem'
Micranthemum sp. 'Monte Carlo'
Cryptocorne wendtii
Staurogyne.repens
Rotala rotundofolia
Rotala sp. 'mini butterfly'
Hemianthus glomeratus(micranthemoides)

this is all tentative and may change as I start planting and see how things go. I am going to dry start for 2 weeks only for moss. cuz I want it to attach to the stone.

thanks for looking

substrate

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
That looks really nice with the way that wood looks like it has grown onto that stone. Did it just wrap around that rock so nicely by luck or did you have to break away any rock to get that look? I can't wait to see what you do with the planting because that hard scape looks really nice.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks really nice with the way that wood looks like it has grown onto that stone. Did it just wrap around that rock so nicely by luck or did you have to break away any rock to get that look? I can't wait to see what you do with the planting because that hard scape looks really nice.
I know its hard to believe, but I got the wood like that. its an extra piece that I got with a wood order. And I actually placed the stones(its 2, 1 on top of the other) first...after a few tries I settled on that. I'm very nervous about planting...I don't want to take away much from the hardscape.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow, the stones and wood look like they were made for each other! It makes it look like these are super old tree roots or something, like the wood has grown into the rock. This is gonna look really awesome.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, the stones and wood look like they were made for each other! It makes it look like these are super old tree roots or something, like the wood has grown into the rock. This is gonna look really awesome.

Hey.... Thanks for the nice compliments. Your description will give me something to think about when I come up with a name.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
4/8 - Day 24 Moss Dry Start.

Good growth on the moss. I really like how its looking and it seems to be attached very well. I may have had a little too much water because I notice some green algae on the front glass. its nothing some h202 can't kill off. Im in the process of sourcing all the plants that I need for when I flood. Which will happen very soon. I'd rather start with as much plant mass as possible from the very beginning so as not to give the algae a chance to take hold. let me know what you think. thanks!

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
I like this hardscape and how you're using the dry start. More curious as to what you're going to be doing with the rest of the space.

Smart with the high plant mass post flooding, it's a problem I'm just now remedying on my my most recent scape. Got cocky and started with low plant mass because I couldn't acquire enough Eleocharis 'belem' fast enough.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wish I read about dry starting, it looks super nice! I love your rock and wood scape!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like this hardscape and how you're using the dry start. More curious as to what you're going to be doing with the rest of the space.

Smart with the high plant mass post flooding, it's a problem I'm just now remedying on my my most recent scape. Got cocky and started with low plant mass because I couldn't acquire enough Eleocharis 'belem' fast enough.

Thanks. That's exactly the problem I think I had in my last scape. But also, when I dry started my HC I had too much water. You really only need moisture or humidity.

I'm definitely using stems and ephytic plants, ground cover etc... Hopefully it works out.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 WEEK UPDATE. co2 was at 3 maybe 4(hard to tell) bps. I'm starting to drop it during the week down to about 2bps. My ammonia levels have dropped dramatically in under a week. I am pretty much ready for livestock. I'll probably start off with ottos and amano's to help eat the diatom algae that has developed, of course. Water change schedule will change from daily water changes to twice weekly until the system becomes more stable, then it will be once weekly. Dosing schedule for the first week was, K And micros every other day. Changing it up to NPK AND MICROS every other day. Basically EI. The Monte Carlo looks a little beat up but I see new growth and that's a good sign. Actually there is new growth on all the plants in only a week. Anyway... I'll explain more about the set up in my next post.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts