The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first canister filter for my 40g Hex... Shipped for $49 on [Ebay Link Removed] Comes with basic filter media and is ready to go out of the box (well, after a good rinsing that is)

Any Pros/Cons on this manufacturer? I've seen some good reviews on Amazon and a few other sites that said it was similar to the SunSun products and therfore a good deal.

What filter media would be best to put in the 3 baskets available? Not sure what else to include along with the included filter media, and in what order the media will function best...

Seems to work well so far for my setup (only used it overnight so far), no leaks, is providing more water flow (264gph) in the planted tank and once I get to the LFS i'll pick up some other filter media to put in the trays, only issue i've noticed is the siphon primer, which, leaves a little bit to be deisred when getting water from the tank but, once you get enoug water in the filter, it works and works quietly too! I have to put my hand on the top to feel the pump vibrating.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I used the 500 forever until I went over to my Sump setup, great little pumps and put what you want in the baskets, bio media, course filter some fine filter and maybe some purigen should get you all you need :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
I bought one a month or so ago, I like it so far. I put thhree filters in the bottom basket, 1 filter and filled with ceramic rings for the other 2 baskets. I also made a new spraybar with more bigger holes and put it straight down due the the 45 to run it horizontal seemed to slow it down quite a bit. Plus it's in my frog tank and I didn't really want a heavy current. It was so quiet that I put a hole above the waters surface so I knew it was running.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, it's been working flawless for me since I pulled it out of the box, I'm gonna open it up and check the filtration today and see if it's pulling anything out yet. Got a water change to do today so, it's a good time as any.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
There are numerous threads regarding these cans. Search the forum for SunSun or Aquatop...they are sold under both names. I have the CF-500 as well, cleans my 90 perfectly. If I had to make a complaint...they have a little media blow by and the spray bar setup is a little goofy.

I love mine though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I searched for Aquatop and nothing really came back as far as searching the name itself, now I see that SunSun seems to be just a different name for the same product. I won't complain at all, especially the price was right down my alley! :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts