The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My friend recently took a trip to Gabon in Africa where he collected and brought these back for me. Anyone know what species they are? They have kind of a shiny look to them, hard to capture with the camera but they've been growing really well submersed for the past month. Looks similar to anubias 'white' but still looks different. I can't figure it out.

Here they are in the water. See how they are a reflective? Not really white. Sorry for the crappy image quality. Also the leaf shape looks a bit different. They are more pointy than the other normal anubias petite I have behind them on the left.

Also see the rhizome it is completely silvery as well, not like anubias snow.

Pulled them out & dried off for a picture

·
Registered
113 Posts
Best I can tell is that it looks like Anubias Nana Snow White which is very rare. Unsure what country it's endemic too. Older leaves become whiter and brighter. Either that or you have some sort of kryptonite

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I agree it looks like anubias snow white, not new, just very rare and expensive.
edit: saw video before the out of tank shots, thought the shiny as just crapy phone camera and bright tank light.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a link? The anubias snow white I looked up is different from mine. The leaves on mine are reflective looking, almost metallic in color not really white. Put the video on high resolution and see if you can tell what I mean.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hehe, you guys are too sharp.

That was good!! I wonder how many people PM'd him.

It is an April fool's prank. Anubias argentium isn't real.... But they aren't spray painted. They are solid and made from sterling silver. I cast them and then polished them with my magnetic polisher that I built recently.

Chose the plants I wanted to copy into silver

Poured investment (a special type of plaster) around it

Spin cast them in my centrifugal caster

Dunked it in water to dissolve the investment.

Fresh out of the investment.

Brushed to remove investment, into the acid bath to clean off the fire scale.

After the acid bath it is pure white.

Next step polishing it to bring out the shine. The little balls under the leaves were air bubbles that got trapped and filled with silver. Easy to pick them off.

Into the magnetic polisher for about an hour. The polisher is still unfinished (but is functional) in this video on my messy work bench.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD4XDEGtGpc

All polished up:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.