The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A strange thing has happened to my anubias, and I don't know why! The leaves are nice and green, as usual, but the rhizomes just rotted away, so the leaves fell off. I had to throw everything away :icon_frow Any idea what might be causing this? It's only happening in one of my tanks. Here are the parameters of the tank:

47 gallon
1.2 WPG T5
I dose EI and excel
pH: 7
no ammonia or nitrites
the rhizomes were NOT buried in the sand--I've had most of these plants for months now, but they just went into this tank a couple of weeks ago. All of my other plants are perfectly fine. I do have a bit of a diatom problem though.

I dose the same ferts and excel in another tank, and the plants are fine there!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had this happen before as well. For me I believe there were 2 causes.

1. Lower water circulation in tank - My canister needed a cleaning and denser plant growth had reduced circulation.
2. Low nitrates - My EI dosing was not enough to keep my nitrates up. I didn't realize how much nitrates all the new plants were sucking up.

Try and trim off the rotting parts so they don't affect the rest of the plant.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm. I'll check nitrate levels tomorrow. I've been dosing EI, but we'll see what the test says :) I have two aquaclear 70 filters, so I don't think circulation is the problem. Too late now though; all my anubias died :-(

I'm distraught over this because I LOVED my anubias nana and petite and now they're all gone :-( I really want to get more, but I'm afraid they'll also all rot away. lebeau, after your anubias rot episode, did everything improve?

·
Registered
8 Posts
As long as the rhizome isn't all mush it should recover, if the rotting part is removed. Some of my larger anubias were okay but some of the smaller ones were toast.

I had been EI dosing but my plants were getting larger and/or spreading. When I noticed the problem occuring I tested the nitrates and they were zero (or very close to it).

Lebeau

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.