The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to planted tanks and am trying to plant a 10 gallon shrimp tank and a 20 gallon fish tank.
For the shrimp tank, ideally I would like to have thicker plant coverage on the sides and only a little in the middle, and a floating plant and ground cover. For the fish tank I was hoping for some clusters of plants, but low maintenance plants if possible and nothing very thick. Maybe clusters of individually growing plants rather than something clumpy like a moss. The fish tank will have some amanos to help with algae if that matters at all.
What are some plants that do well at room temperature and are good for beginners? Low light would be ideal too, but I can figure put better lighting if I have to. Is this even possible with just fertilizing and occasional trimming or do live plants just require more maintenance than that no matter what variety you choose?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
My suggestion is to search for some of the many plant sellers on the web, e.g.; Tropica. Most will have their plants organized into beginner, moderate, expert type categories and, within each category, the location preferences within the tank. By doing this, you can see for yourself how each plant looks and the type of tank environment that is required for the plant.

Be careful about adding too much light if you are not going to use pressurized CO2. Too much light will drive the plants to grow and, without pressurized CO2, they will starve and algae will quickly take over.

Growth and maintenance will be a function of the type of plant you choose and these characteristics are also usually identified on such websites. Having low light and no CO2 injection will provide the slowest growth with the least amount of trimming required.

Reactions: Dreya

·
Registered
33 Posts
if your room temperature is in the 70s you have a lot to choose from. What type of light are you using? Many cheap to moderate lights are full spectrum these days.

Pearl weed is a great beginner stem plant. Crypts, Java fern and swords are some more good options. Everyone will suggest Anubias but I find it to be an algae collector.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.