The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! I'm new, and I love it here already! Just what I was looking for!
I know you guys have seen this post probably a million times, but i'd like to see if any of you can help me out. Here are the specs:

I have a 10 gallon, with 2 18 watt 6500k cfl bulbs running 5hrs/day, DIY C02, an aqua clear 20/mini, fluorite gravel substrate, and do a 30-40% waterchange weekly.
Plants: pygmy chain sword, hygrophilia, hemianthus cuba, cr. parva, cr. wendtii, banana plant, cr. wendtii 'green gecko', salvania minima, wavy sword plant, and a few unidentified ones...
Occupants: an otto, 6 neons, crystal red, and red cherry shrimp.

Anyways, I've had this issue before, and I dosed flourish excel, the algae disappeared, but my hemianthus almost completely died, while everything else was doing fine. I also bought a sae, but he soon took to flake food, and baby shrimps, so he soon went.

So, any tips? How much excel should I dose if any? I'm just noticing little bushes of it here and there with increasing frequency, I know soon it will be much worse.
Thanks so much~!
Ethan

·
Registered
838 Posts
DIY CO2 is likely the cause of your BBA. Fluctuating CO2 levels.

You can spot treat with hydrogen peroxide. That will kill the existing BBA, but unless you stabilize the CO2, it will come back.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Adjust CO2 carefully and watch and observe new growth(algae and plants, and the fish behavior and breathing very very closely.

Make small changes and then observe.

Do not make large changes and then head to work, this is how we get millions of post about killing fish and gasping fish.

BBA?

Most of us have been there(99.5%), the last 0.5% just have not been in the hobby long enough.

BBA is mastering the CO2. Control the CO2, control the BBA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts