The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was told by lfs that the New Amazonia soil does not leach out ammonia like the older versions - can someone verify that?

Was thinking of either topping existing tank with it and keep existing fauna at the same time. But was concern of leeching ammonia typical of startup.

Other possible use is to setup new tank with it, bring old tank water. Would that speed up cycling? I may need to transfer CRS from CO2 setup tank. Would I still need to wait before introducing shrimps in new tank?

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Was told by lfs that the New Amazonia soil does not leach out ammonia like the older versions - can someone verify that?

Was thinking of either topping existing tank with it and keep existing fauna at the same time. But was concern of leeching ammonia typical of startup.

Other possible use is to setup new tank with it, bring old tank water. Would that speed up cycling? I may need to transfer CRS from CO2 setup tank. Would I still need to wait before introducing shrimps in new tank?

Thanks!
It does leech ammonia. I was measuring 6-8ppm for the first few days in a 5 gallon container. I left it sit for a two weeks which brought it down to about 2ppm iirc. Did about 10 WC's.
Added it to my 10G which brought ammonia up to 1-2ppm (Probably less is you drain all water, add it, then refill).

You can read more in depth of what I did here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
what it doesn't do (supposedly) is cloud your water as much during the initial fill stages like amazonia 1 did, and won't break down to mush in 6 months like amazonia 2.
When I added and mucked around in my 10G with a HOB filter it took 1-2 weeks to go back to normal.
Less so if you disturb less.

It's a fairly light cloudy, more smokey I'd say.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts