The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow AquaScapers. I have taken a long break from this hobby to concentrate on other things but now I decided to restart my old ADA 60p with a new scape using Seiryu Stones, the same DIY stand I constructed in 2011 (https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20-diy/147366-my-ada-style-cabinet-plexiglass-door.html), Oase BioMaster Thermo 250 Canister Filter, Twinstar LED Light II 600S, ADA Lily Pipes, etc... I will try to keep is some what simple by using Micro Sword carpet plant as a foreground and Reinrickii Mini as a midground plant both of Tissue Culture from Glass Aqua. Let's see where this new build takes me. If you have any suggested on anything I should do please feel free to let me know in the comments. I look forward to hearing from all of you who stop by to look. I will keep the thread updates as much as possible. I am excited to see where this goes. This hobby is always full of surprises.

Week 1:

Bump: Added the plants I mentioned above.

Week 2:

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Rock work and scape are perfect for that size tank. Let us know how the Oase BioMaster Thermo 250 Canister Filter does.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, great hard scape. I'm getting back in to, thanks for the inspiration.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rock work and scape are perfect for that size tank. Let us know how the Oase BioMaster Thermo 250 Canister Filter does.
Thank you. I got to say that so far the Oase 250 is great. Very quiet as well. I have it under my tank in an enclosed stand with just a thin piece of plexiglass and when it is closed I do not hear the filter at all, all I hear is the CO2 seeping out of the diffuser. When I open the plexiglass door I can just hear a very faint sound from he Oase 250. I also have the Oase 150 heater in there as well. I love it so far. I will keep thread updating on it.

Reactions: evil8 and Mike00726

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Thanks for the update. I am not yet in the market for a canister again, but I like the integrated heating, and the easy pre-filter cleaning on this unit.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome back!

i took a 7 year break as well

Aquascaping for the win!

What are your thoughts on stocking the tank?

Great setup
Thanks and great to be back, I think. Welcome back as well. I decided to just stock with about 10 Red Harlequin Rasboras, Japonica Shrimps and I want to find me a shrimp that are both black and white. Maybe someone has them here.

Bump:
Wow, great hard scape. I'm getting back in to, thanks for the inspiration.
Great and thank you. Let me know when you get started so I can take a peek at yours. Good luck.

Reactions: Silly_Guppys

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey Uptown, just to let you know I found my way in here and you got yourself a subscriber to the real thread:) I myself did a break of 3 years from the hobby, now I'm just in the phase of rediscovering this drug again so soon I shall be owning a tank again.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Uptown, just to let you know I found my way in here and you got yourself a subscriber to the real thread:) I myself did a break of 3 years from the hobby, now I'm just in the phase of rediscovering this drug again so soon I shall be owning a tank again.
Hey man, I am glad you found your way over here. Yes, it is a drug for sure. It is good to take a break form this hobby since it can be expensive and very time consuming but that is what hobbies to to us: 1. Keep you busy and 2. Make you spend that money you earn at work. Thanks for being a sub to my thread. Let me know when you get started on your tank. I also enjoy other peoples tank grow from nothing to something.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
This was a double post.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do you like that filter? Does it hold the temp pretty stable? I was looking at getting the 100 thermo for my 60p
Honestly, I just realized last night that I do not even have a thermometer installed in my tank. I am going to purchase one today and I will get back to you. I currently have it on 78 degrees so let's see if that what it reads when I install the thermometer tonight. Check back here later tonight or tomorrow. But aside from that. I have to say that the filter is very quiet. I can't even hear it when the clear plexiglass door is closed on the bottom of stand, I just hear the CO2 coming out of the diffuser. When I open the door you hear just a very faint sound of the filter running. Gotta say that the 250 is pretty big in size, I was pretty shocked when I took it out the box. I changed the plastic media filter with ceramic media. So far I am happy with it but it has only been 3 weeks. Only time will tell. :fish:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey man, I am glad you found your way over here. Yes, it is a drug for sure. It is good to take a break form this hobby since it can be expensive and very time consuming but that is what hobbies to to us: 1. Keep you busy and 2. Make you spend that money you earn at work. Thanks for being a sub to my thread. Let me know when you get started on your tank. I also enjoy other peoples tank grow from nothing to something.
Some very true points. I think it's also easy to get too used to keeping fish after a while (or any hobbies), starting to take it for granted and if there's lots of other stuff going on in your life it can even become a burden. Better to take a break and start over energized when it's a better time.

I'll let you know once I post a journal, currently doing loads of research and planning all the gear I'm gonna need as I currently own nothing. In the meanwhile I'll look on this forum for inspirations and of course follow the progression of your tank.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some very true points. I think it's also easy to get too used to keeping fish after a while (or any hobbies), starting to take it for granted and if there's lots of other stuff going on in your life it can even become a burden. Better to take a break and start over energized when it's a better time.

I'll let you know once I post a journal, currently doing loads of research and planning all the gear I'm gonna need as I currently own nothing. In the meanwhile I'll look on this forum for inspirations and of course follow the progression of your tank.
Yea man, starting from scratch is very costly but I guess every hobby is costly however, it can be the fun part as well if money is not a huge problem. Look forward to your journal. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I received my CO2 Parts from DIYCO2REGULATOR. I ordered a Clippard CO2 Regulator Solenoid, some fittings and a push to connect connector. I heard about these push to connect connectors so I decided to try it out for myself. See pic below.

Attachments

Reactions: Takedakai and fpn

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How do you like that filter? Does it hold the temp pretty stable? I was looking at getting the 100 thermo for my 60p
Hey, just wanted to give you an update on the Oase 150W Thermometer that is inside my Oase 250. The temp has maintained a constant 77 degrees over the last 2 days. So far so good. No complaints with this filter yet. The little sound that I do hear from the filter running with plexiglass door open is calming. I open the door purposely just to hear it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey, just wanted to give you an update on the Oase 150W Thermometer that is inside my Oase 250. The temp has maintained a constant 77 degrees over the last 2 days. So far so good. No complaints with this filter yet. The little sound that I do hear from the filter running with plexiglass door open is calming. I open the door purposely just to hear it.
Good to hear. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here are 2 updated pictures of the tank today. Tomorrow, Saturday will be starting the 4th week. Fish seem happy, they are swimming back and forth and playing. Unfortunately, I bought 10 Amamo/Japonica shrimps this past Tuesday and I only have 2 left. I know 4 jumped out and died but I am missing the other 4. No where to be found. Kinda weird.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Reactions: fpn
1 - 20 of 29 Posts