The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm still in the planning stages of my tank setup, but am considering going with a planted tank and would greatly appreciate your input on the types of plants to go with. I do not plan on upgrading the lighting... I'll be using whatever comes with the Top Fin 75 sold at Petsmart (the website doesn't specify, but I assume low-mid watt). And I do not want to buy a CO2 system.

I'll be going with pool filter sand as the substrate, the pH will be roughly in the 7's, and I think the water will be somewhat hard (our tap in AZ is around KH 16, so I'm assuming I'll somehow need to soften it for the fish).

The fish I plan to add to the tank include various tetras, dwarf gouramis, raspboras, kuhli loaches, cory cats and maybe some rainbow fish depending on space.

I like the look of the marimo balls, water sprites and java fern. What else can I add that will be easy to maintain, won't take over the tank, and won't be harmful to my fish?

THANKS!! :D

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Get a nice piece of DW, it will help lower the pH, and you can attach 2 or 3 nice Anubias to it, along with the Java Fern. There are a number of varieties of Echinodorus (Amazon Swords) which would do very well in your low-tech 75 gal. Others you could consider are Ludwigia, some Hygros (easy to keep well-trimmed), Bacopa, Crypts, Rotala, and some Red &/or Tiger Lotus. All should do well in low/med light, without pressurized CO2 usage, and planted in PFS with the use of root tab ferts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.