The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting a new 75g planted tank. I already sort of figured out the substrate. However, I know next to nothing about CO2 systems and I have a 250 w Sun Systems Metal Halide pendulum light that I was using on another project. My first question is can anyone recommend a good CO2 system for a 75g tank?:help::help: And a good place to purchase it? my second Question is my Metal Halide going to produce the right light spectrum for a planted tank? if not what would everyone recommend for a tank this size?

·
Super Moderator
12,039 Posts
For a 75g tank, you will want to set up a pressurized setup.

Depending on how comfortable you feel assembling a regulator build, you could either look for individual parts and piece it together, or buy a pre-built regulator.

Looking for individual parts will be cheaper, especially if you bargain hunt for the best deals. You may be able to get better than standard quality equipment for cheap prices.

If you choose to go this route, you will need:

CO2 tank - the bigger, the better. If you have the space, buy a 20lb tank. Tank prices do not rise exponentially; where I am located, a 5 lb tank costs $75, a 10 lb tank $85, and a 20 lb tank $120. Refills are the same regardless of tank size.
Regulator - reduces the tank pressure to about 20-30 PSI
Needle Valve - further reduces the 20-30 PSI (delivery pressure) to an even lower flow rate
Solenoid (optional, but allows you to control your CO2 with a timer and/or a pH controller)
Check Valve - cheap insurance for your regulator to ensure it is not destroyed by a backsiphon
Diffuser/Reactor - you will need some way to diffuse your CO2 into your water
Drop Checker - technically optional, but provides at-a-glance visual indication of how much CO2 is in your water.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
That 250 watt light fixture might give you a very non-uniform light distribution across the substrate. If you raise it high enough to even out the intensity distribution, and reduce the intensity to a more reasonable level for a planted tank, you would be likely to have more light spill over that you would enjoy. "Long" tanks are better lighted with tubular lights, in my opinion, and T5HO lights, suspended above the top of the tank are the best, again in my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.