The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://vimeo.com/160760745

Just set up our new 75. Used a cycled filter of course.

Aaron
75 gallon reef
Planted Discus
Cherry Shrimp breeding

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Looks nice but are you going to add more discus as they prefer to be in groups of 5-6,also a back ground would hide all the filter stuff,not criticizing just commenting.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have though about that yes. And I have 4 that will be here Next Tuesday.

These are the 4

Aaron

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My buddy just got some like these yesterday and they are every bit of 4"!!! Excited!!

Aaron

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty!!

Aaron

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The video was taken like two days after we set it.

Aaron

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
The filter was seeded right?

I thought the tank looked just set. I would be on top of water changes regularly at the beginning to ensure the filter can handle all the new fish.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The two consider filters on this new tank are mature. Ammonia has been tested at least once daily and is 0ppm. The number of fish is the same and the same filters. Only thing that's changed is the tank and substrate. I think the filter are more then capable of handling it. Thanks for the concern though.

Fluval 406
Fluval 305
All bio media, rinsed with old tank water monthly.

Aaron

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
85 gal. tank

cascade 1500 canister

heater control for two 300 watt heaters

80lbs. pool filter sand

1 current satelite on for 7 hours

1 beamsworks on low for 4 hours.

6 5-5.1/2 discus soon to add twenty cardinal tetras

Nice! What temperature do you keep the tank? What and how do you feed?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Nice set up can't wait to go discus shopping once me tank is done.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

Not sure if I've mentioned this to you before, but when you're ready to get discus, here's one of the best high quality discus suppliers in Florida - which I strongly recommend : - contact Ryan Smith for excellent service & great discus - here's the link:

How to Contact Us

·
Registered
323 Posts
Not sure if I've mentioned this to you before, but when you're ready to get discus, here's one of the best high quality discus suppliers in Florida - which I strongly recommend : - contact Ryan Smith for excellent service & great discus - here's the link:

How to Contact Us
Ok cool thanks for the info! Don't think u have.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey OP, was wondering how well your cherry shrimp are breeding with the discus present.

My tank will be for discus later and I've put about 20 RCS in there to start breeding. I'm wondering if your discus are picking at them etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't breed the shrimp in there I'm not sure how they would do. The discus like softer water and the shrimp like it a little more hard. Also the small shrimp always got sucked up into the big filters.

I breed my shrimp in a nice small tank like this one

Once they get bigger I transfer them in with my discus. If you breed the shrimp with the discus I would believe they pick at them at a minimum.

Aaron

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm in Australia, and water in Sydney is generally quite soft out the tap. My friends who breed RCS just breed them in the water straight from the tap without altering pH or hardness, however do prime the water.

In my personal experience, I try not to play around with water parameters, and let my fish adapt to it, unless its ridiculously off. My water from the tap is generally a pH in the low 7's.

I'm hoping that a really big colony of RCS and them breeding will be able to keep up even when I put discus in.

Thanks for your info :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My water in Florida is also very soft. I do use prime each water change. The cherry shrimp will do ok in soft water however they like it a little on the hard side, snails also. The shrimp color up a little better too in harder water. I don't do anything other than add some hardness buffer with each water change to the shrimp and snail tank.

Aaron

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.