The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new 75 gallon and wanted to use a river tank manifold. I am not keeping hillstream loaches, so not using really powerful pumps. I will have Serpenticobitis octozona, Schistura mahnerti and others like them in this tank.

Also, on the background, I am using window film. On my 125 gallon tank one side was facing a door way and every time someone came in the door it would frighten the fish. So I put window film on one end and it worked great. And, it was easy to put on. Been about a month and still looks very good. You can see into the tank a little when the fish tank lights are on but they can not see out at all. I used Privacy Black Gila Window Film. Costs less than $16.00. All different colors and types to try.

I have been using the Koralia for fast water movement, but do not like them for sand. I am going to be using Tahitian Moon black sand on top of Eco-complete. I like real plants in my tanks. So, I will be using two Maxi-Jet 1200s.

I will also have a Rena XP3 hooked up on this 75. Along with a Aqueon 55 and hang it off the back of the tank.

The river tank manifold is make of 3/4" PVC. I did not use any glue.

No plants yet (do in tomorrow), but here are some pictures.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a short video showing the current in the 75 with just the two Maxi Jet 1200s.

You can see the glass thermometer (upper left) going to the right and circling the tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VABBaQTWkFA

·
Registered
110 Posts
I love it, few questions...

How is the water quality to keep up with this just this filtration system?

How is feeding the fish with the current in the tank? It seems that the filter sponges would collect a lot of flakes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

How is feeding the fish with the current in the tank? It seems that the filter sponges would collect a lot of flakes.

I also have a XP3 and a Emperor 400 HOB on the 75 besides the two powerheads.

I feed several different types of food. The flake follow the current and the rainbow and others follow it around. I also use sinking food and there is very little current at the bottom.

Here is what I have in the aquarium:

15 cherry barbs and I have read several places that good filtration and a strong current are recommended for them.

16 dwarf Neon Rainbow (Melanotaenia praecox) they really like a strong current as they are river fish from New Guinea and Indonesia.

2 fire barbs (got to get a few more, but they are hard to find)

2 striped kuhli loacha (got to get a few more, but they are hard to find)

1 bristlenose pleco and 4 Otts

There are 5 Schistura mahnerti and I am going to order 5 more Serpenticobitis octozona

·
Registered
920 Posts

you can always turn the powerheads off when feeding

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had watched your first video, and i noticed that there were no other filter systems. This is what caught my attention to ask.

And the feeding question was basically to see if you did cut the system off to feed, I use mainly flake food and the current of my FX5 just makes a mess for me.

Sweet setup though, I've got an 80 gal sitting in the back yard waiting for a project. I live on the coast, and a brackish water setup has always been on my mind.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd say go for it.....:bounce:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts