The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey new used Oceanic 75 gallon tank set up looking for some help. I was wondering what should i dose for my plants?i currently only use seachem flourish and thats it and have flourite substrate.Should i be using anything else? my lighting is 108 watt t5HO aquatic life light. Filter is ehiem 2028 filter.

The tank isent staying planted like this im getting some manzanita and then i want to rescape but this is a start =)

·
Registered
11 Posts
you linked to the page not the image itself, goto share on the bar at photobuket, post to web page, then the get link code, grab the HTML for websites & blogs code and paste:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To keep my plants healthy and growing well, can i dose seachem flourish and
kn03 and kh2ph04 and be fine with that once a week???? any help would be great.

·
Registered
394 Posts
To keep my plants healthy and growing well, can i dose seachem flourish and
kn03 and kh2ph04 and be fine with that once a week???? any help would be great.
Are you dosing anything now?

I think you would be fine with dosing setup. You may want to consider Seachem equilibrium instead of the flourish.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Seachem equilibrium is not a fertilizer supplement, it's a buffer to help reconstitute or increase the pH of RO or acidic water.

Will you be running CO2 on this tank? I suspect you're really going to have to limit your photoperiod with T5HO lighting if not. Or add floating plants to help with light control.

Check out the stickies at the top of the water parameters forum for advice on putting together a balanced fert regimen.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i wasent planing on using co2 untill maybe later on. you think 108 watts of t5 is too much for low tech 75 gallon set up??? the only thing i have dosed right now was seachem flourish. will the plants be ok for atleasts a 2 weeks or soo till i can get some dry ferts ??? If i added c02 to a 108watt t5ho set would i have to dose alot more and would growth be really good?

·
Registered
567 Posts
You have a nice looking selection of plants. I am looking forward to seeing this tank develop as you get everything arranged in there.

What are your plans for fish?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im gonna be putting a few diffrent rainbow fish in the tank. I have a few now but there in my 26 gallon tank. I still need to buy more plants =) haha. The plants on the right front side of the tank are amazon swords that i cut way down. I dunno if they should be cut down more or what. They were dieing in my 26 gallon tank becuase i just have gravel and dident use any ferts and low low light soo i cut them down and maybe they mite grow back lol dunno welll see.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the korilla power head 3 is to make current for the rainbow fish to swim in, but i dunno i mite change it dunno yet want plants to get bigger and root and see.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
i wasent planing on using co2 untill maybe later on. you think 108 watts of t5 is too much for low tech 75 gallon set up??? the only thing i have dosed right now was seachem flourish. will the plants be ok for atleasts a 2 weeks or soo till i can get some dry ferts ??? If i added c02 to a 108watt t5ho set would i have to dose alot more and would growth be really good?
With that amount of light and no co2 you will have a serious algae problem in the near future. About dosing and co2, it depends what you'll use as a substrate and what are you trying to grow. I recommend typing "mineralized topsoil" :EI dosing" and "PPS dosing" into the search bar in our forum, you'll find a lot of useful info.
By the way, I wonder when they'll stop using wpg (watts per gallon) measuring in those articles in fish magazines and books. I picked up a recent TFH issue and they still trying to persuade that 2wpg is a low-light setup, no matter what bulb type you use. It's just not true anymore as T5's are very efficient light and my opinion is 1.5 wpg for T5 is nothing but a high-lighted tank. Who's with me?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I run 108 watts of T5HO over my own low tech 90gal and am having algae issues ever since I removed my floating plants.

T5HO is extremely powerful lighting.

Another option to moderate the lighting is to raise the fixture further off the tank.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
also my anubias. the leaves are turning a little brown after 3 days is this algae? or is it burning? its not planted to deep or anything.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Glass tops will cut down light some (depending on how clean they are LOL), but that's still a lot of light.

The brown on your Anubias is probably Brown (diatomacious) algae; will it rub off if you rub your finger along the leaf?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The leaves are starting to get a lighter green color. mite be turning yellow does this mean low iron levels??? should i get flourish root tabs and dose iron??? also id get a co2 set up but not much money now soo could i use excel for a few months and be ok untill i can get co2??? oh and i rubbed the leaves and nothing came off now im kinda thinking the anubias is dieing =/

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
also the glass tops have alot of water on them from condensation LOL soo this helps hopefully =/ maybe i can put tint on the glass till i get co2 =)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
like i said i have seachem flourish and have kno3 and k42po4 coming... its weird the leaves are turning lighter green and getting close to yellow and have brown dots on them. they are planted in flourite i dunno this sucks.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Yes, Excel would probably help till you can get a CO2 setup.

Going back to look at the photos, I also can't see the rhizome on your Anubias. The rhizome must be up out of the substrate and exposed to light or it will die (and the leaves with it).

You might try adding some floating plants to help with light control, too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts