The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Been reading up on this forum for some time and it's time to start up my 75 gallon high tech tank! Starting off is the hardscape! Any tips or advise is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
19 Posts
The dragon stone looks amazing. As an idea, I think it wood benefit from more wood -- perhaps a few smaller/shorter branches on the right side to give the effect that they are coming from the same "root". I would also add some to the left side that are shorter so that it doesn't appear too uniform. I am following to see how you progress.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Following as I’m also starting a 75 gallon and working on hardscape right now! I like the rocks a lot. Not sure how I feel about the driftwood.... I think I agree with above comment that it would benefit from more pieces. Nice work!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I only have some smaller pieces and they didn't look great on the left. Rescaped a bit. Wanted to go with a valley in between that's going to hopefully carpet. Plants come in 2 days so I still have time to pick up some more wood...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like the rock set up! I'm more ambivalent about the wood, but I agree that more smaller pieces might look good on the right side there.

I'm also getting ready to hardscape a 75 gallon tank. Approximately how much stone (weight) is that in your tank? I'm having a hard time visualizing how much stone I'm going to need to order (sadly, no nearby stores with good hardscape materials).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Approximately how much stone (weight) is that in your tank? I'm having a hard time visualizing how much stone I'm going to need to order (sadly, no nearby stores with good hardscape materials).
Not the OP, but I just picked up 20 lbs of petrified wood rock and it is MUCH less than shown above. I'm planning on building up some of the "hidden" structure with lava rock and other (cheap home depot) supplies and having the petrified wood be the super visible stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not the OP, but I just picked up 20 lbs of petrified wood rock and it is MUCH less than shown above. I'm planning on building up some of the "hidden" structure with lava rock and other (cheap home depot) supplies and having the petrified wood be the super visible stuff.
Thanks! Every time I look at the empty tank I fear I've bitten off more than I can chew regarding the hardscape!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Thanks! Every time I look at the empty tank I fear I've bitten off more than I can chew regarding the hardscape!
Collect locally for rocks if budget is an option. Test with vinegar- if it fizzes it's no good. Boil it/ wash thouroughly and you're good to go 😉 I started out this hobby refusing to pay for ornamental hardscape and I'll never change lol. Just figured I'd throw it out there so maybe you won't feel so overwhelmed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts