The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys as I said in the title I just got a 75 gal tank all set up and ready to go and now I am going to start getting into live plants. I have done this before with little success so this time I thought that I would try a lot harder. I know that it has to do with my lighting set up and I just don't know what to buy to get the plants to grow. I am using a CO2 booster to increase the amount of CO2 in the water to help out. Any advice is greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Couple of questions:

What kind of plants are you looking to grow.

What is your substrate.

Will you be dosing fertilizers.

What do you mean when you say CO2 booster

Have a gniess day. -Scott

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am looking to grow amazon swords, java fern, and right now there is water wisteria and modo grass in it. I would like the swords to be able to grow the most.
My substrate is a mix of florite and sand.
Umm if I have to use a fertilizer then I will, but right now I am not. Should I be?
And I got told to use API's CO2 booster in the aquarium to help the plants along. Should I be using that?
Thank you for the help, Justin.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you're asking about what lighting you need with the plants you mentioned, you probably could just use a 2 bulb t8 shop light. Although I'm not sure what Mondo grass is or its light requirements.

Amazon swords are heavy root feeders so using root tabs would help them.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
As Snow said you can go with a T8 fixture from a hardware store. I've found spectrum is just as important (if not more important) than intensity. Most of the plants you mentioned are low/medium light so T8s should be a good range.

If you want more intensity you can go with a four bulb fixture (or two, two bulb fixtures). For bulbs my favorite temperature is 6500k (Daylight). It's a nice mix of whites with a slight tint of blue.

Here are a few shots of the light I made for my 29g (this one has LEDs but the 55g is made of T8s). It's a simple design and easy to make with some 1x6"s. You may also need to purchase a three prong plug and wire into that. It's not difficult.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts