The Planted Tank Forum banner

New 7.9 Gallon Fluval Ebi

2982 13
Hi everyone,

I am really new to the hobby and currently have a 5G Fluval Chi filled with... dare I say it... plastic plants. I've always wanted a planted aquarium but juggling full time work with full time school with full time dog mommy duties just wasn't going to give me the time to invest in a planted tank. So right now, my Fluval Chi is home to a small colony of Opae'Ula shrimp, and they have been doing great for the past nine months I've had them. I never have any water issues as my tank is always clear, and I have not had any losses since the way beginning when I had to quickly learn how to prevent my filter from becoming a death machine.

[I don't know why my camera picks up on the light so much. The water is actually crystal clear in person.]

You can find a log of my shrimp antics on my YouTube channel here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwcjNt5bT_T5c2JtNcfERc7-psaftcKnx&feature=c4-feed-u

Before my interest in Opae'Ula, I had looked into keeping Blue Tiger Shrimp because let's admit it: They look AWESOME. However, after doing my research, I decided that a beginner like me should not be attempting such expensive shrimp that require expert care, so I started with Opae'Ula because they are very hardy shrimp, and hardy is ideal for new hobbyists. Over the last nine months, I have grown to love shrimp keeping and feel that it's time to spread my wings and finally give Blue Tiger Shrimp and a planted tank a shot. I'm actually going to start off with a small batch of Red Cherry Shrimp since this will be my first freshwater tank, and once I'm comfortable with that, I will bring in the Blue Tiger Shrimp.

I purchased the 7.9 Gallon Fluval Ebi which comes with a 13W Fluval Mini Power Compact Lamp, Fluval Nano Internal Filter, Fluval Stratum substrate, and some other goodies. I will have to modify the filter for my shrimp needs and am looking to purchase an additional light. But in the meantime, it's going to be all about set-up and cycling, which gives me plenty of time to do additional research and figure out what plants I want in my tank. The plants will have to be compatible with the water parameters that the Blue Tiger Shrimp need and be hardy enough to thrive in a nano tank, since any fluctuations will have a much greater impact on the inhabitants than a normal sized tank.

Water Temp: 20°-25° C or 68°-77° F
pH Range: 6.5-7.2
Water Hardness: Soft
Fresh or Salt Water: Freshwater

Of course, I could go to Google, but you guys are the experts here. So far, swords and ferns look good for the mid-/background. If you have any suggestions for beginner-level fore-/mid-/background plants, I would really appreciate a starting point for my research. Thanks!

- Christine
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahhh you are here now! its Amber from youtube. lol. xoxo
Hi Amber! I finally decided to get another tank and took your suggestion by joining the forum. I also went to my LFS and got a moss ball, broke it up, and rolled it into smaller balls. They seem to be doing well in my brackish tank even though they started as freshwater. I'm still working on editing that video but I do mention you in it. Thanks for your amazing info! I'm going to get a hermit soon too. =P

- Christine

· Registered
338 Posts
Hi Amber! I finally decided to get another tank and took your suggestion by joining the forum. I also went to my LFS and got a moss ball, broke it up, and rolled it into smaller balls. They seem to be doing well in my brackish tank even though they started as freshwater. I'm still working on editing that video but I do mention you in it. Thanks for your amazing info! I'm going to get a hermit soon too. =P

- Christine
ahhh so awesome!!! i can't wait to see the video. i always forget to check youtube

· Registered
191 Posts
Hi Christine, I pretty much have the tank you described. Fluval Ebi planted with RCS and OEBTS. This is also my first time doing a shrimp tank. So far all is good (about a month w/Shrimp). Do you have a RO unit? If not that would be my first purchase. Then you will need a DTS meter and some sort of mineralization supplement. As for plants I have thrown in what ever I seen at petco (I know bad) and all is doing well. I even have some Baby Tears that look really good.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Christine, I pretty much have the tank you described. Fluval Ebi planted with RCS and OEBTS. This is also my first time doing a shrimp tank. So far all is good (about a month w/Shrimp). Do you have a RO unit? If not that would be my first purchase. Then you will need a DTS meter and some sort of mineralization supplement. As for plants I have thrown in what ever I seen at petco (I know bad) and all is doing well. I even have some Baby Tears that look really good.
Hi Trent,

I'm glad your tank is doing great because I was really anxious about starting my own planted tank AND trying out new shrimp. I don't have an RO unit. I figured I could just buy RO water from the local grocery store. I did purchase a TDS meter and some fertilizer tablets from Amazon that should be arriving soon. What kind of mineralization supplements are you talking about? Do you mean for the shrimp or for the plants? Sorry, I'm still really new to this, so I have so many questions. -.-

- Christine

· Registered
338 Posts

- Christine
i also realized we aren't the same Amber's LOL. but i did tell you to come on here, just not about the marimo's.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OMG Sorry!

i also realized we aren't the same Amber's LOL. but i did tell you to come on here, just not about the marimo's.
Oh gosh! You guys aren't the same Amber! So sorry! I did come on here from your suggestion though, so I will definitely mention that in my set-up video. <33

· Registered
45 Posts
For shrimps... Moss are usually the best, easy maintenance as well and provides a great home to shrimplets. Only thing with other plants that require CO2/ferts can be a problem for sensitive shrimp casualties IF not carefully dosed correctly as some ferts carry copper which can kill shrimps (depends on copper amount, same to CO2, as too much CO2 can cause a ph drop and fluctuate)

I'm sure others can suggest you in the direction you need, but as far as moss, there's many such as x-mas moss, mini pelias, weeping, flame, peacock, fissidens, willow, taiwan moss. Which you might have seen some of these in aquascapes with the trees, bonsais etc

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks =D

For shrimps... Moss are usually the best, easy maintenance as well and provides a great home to shrimplets. Only thing with other plants that require CO2/ferts can be a problem for sensitive shrimp casualties IF not carefully dosed correctly as some ferts carry copper which can kill shrimps (depends on copper amount, same to CO2, as too much CO2 can cause a ph drop and fluctuate)

I'm sure others can suggest you in the direction you need, but as far as moss, there's many such as x-mas moss, mini pelias, weeping, flame, peacock, fissidens, willow, taiwan moss. Which you might have seen some of these in aquascapes with the trees, bonsais etc
I have looked into several types of mosses and have decided on the willow moss and possibly java moss. I know that CO2 and fertilizers aren't recommended for shrimp as they do cause casualties and affect breeding, so I am only using CO2 and fertilizers during my plant-only phase while I figure out what works and what doesn't (as this is my first experience with a planted tank) before introducing the shrimp. Thanks for the suggestions! =)

· Registered
45 Posts
I have looked into several types of mosses and have decided on the willow moss and possibly java moss. I know that CO2 and fertilizers aren't recommended for shrimp as they do cause casualties and affect breeding, so I am only using CO2 and fertilizers during my plant-only phase while I figure out what works and what doesn't (as this is my first experience with a planted tank) before introducing the shrimp. Thanks for the suggestions! =)
Co2 is possible with shrimps, but you must control the dosing correctly. You did mention it's your first experience, so I agree that it's probably best to take it slow and easy for now. High lighting + Co2 + Ferts would make the moss grow faster, fluffier, and lush. It will thrive well with low light also, but appearing more darker and less dense. Keep us updated!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.