The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new 65 gallon tank and I would like to try my hand with some plants. I'm looking for simplicity and wouldn't mind keeping the price down as well. Below is my equipment list.

65G Tank (36.4"L x 18.4"W x 25"H)
eco-complete plant substrate
AquaClear 70
Aqueon 200W heater
Finnex FugeRay Ultra Slim LED

Fish Stock
I'm still deciding but I would like to move my Rubber Lip Pleco out of my 26. Will he eat my plants? Other than that, I'll likely have a lot of neon tetras, and a few other tetras, guppies, catfish and mystery snails.

Plants
I'm going for low light and no CO2. If I can swing it, there are a couple of sword plants I like. I really like Java Moss too.
It will also have at least one sizable piece of driftwood, perhaps two.

One problem area is the very large volume of natural light that come into my house. I had an algae problem with my 26 so any thoughts about that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I also have a 65 gallon tank of that shape. I think you will do better if you use a canister filter, even a cheaper one. I was never happy using one of those AquaClear hang on back filters.

The light you chose is very good for low light. From http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=189944

It will cover the whole substrate pretty uniformly. You might find that the plants will grow towards the light, so moving the light from front to back occasionally may be necessary to discourage that.

If the sunlight in the room includes direct sun light, you will likely run into algae problems, even with low light. If you can avoid any direct sun light it should work well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.