The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post here (at least the first that I can remember). I just picked up a 65 hex and was going to make my first foray into trying a planted tank. The tank came with a Coralife PC light with two 65 watt bulbs. When I got it, it was set up for a salt tank with a 10000K light and a actinic. I replaced the actinic with a 6700K bulb and then the 10000K died. So my question is should I put in a 6700K or go back with a 1000K? I hadn't planned on using CO2 so was hoping to be fairly low tech. Probably going to be adding some ferts.

Appreciate your help.

Kirk

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Welcome to TPT!

Really, the only difference between the 6700 & 10000k bulbs is which look you like better. Both will grow plants just fine. Personally, I'd mix the 2 up to help balance out the colors in the tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tank lighting

Thanks for the replies. Laura, wondering your thoughts on the lighting timing. My initial thought was that I'd have the 6700K bulb come on at the start and then the 10000K come on later for a shorter amount of time. In thinking about it, the 6700K would only give about 1w per gallon. Guess my original thought does not make much sense. Would it be best to just turn both on at the same time to give me 2w per gallon?

Kirk

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'd opt to have them both on for the bulk of the photoperiod. Although it could be interesting if you had them on staggered timing. Had the 6700k turn on first, and maybe an hour or two later the 10000k, and do something similar for when the lights go off. I've always thought that fish get pretty stressed out when my tank lights turn on full blast all at once. 2 watts per gallon would allow you to grow a much broader range of plants, especially in a tank as deep as yours. You'll end up having the lights on anywhere between 9-12 hours a day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.