The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a used 64 gallon tank, but its a portrait tank (80x80x38 cm)as opposed to a landscape tank, so I was wondering if there are any semi aquatic TREES. I'd like to fill it 2/3 or 3/4 and plant a tree that would provide lots of roots for fish to play in, but would also grow out of the tank a foot or two. I know there are some plants that will pop out of the water, but I'd like something with a large root system where some of them can come out of the substrate. All the semi aquatic trees I've been finding on google are MASSIVE, like 100' trees. are there any that are 4' ish? or any substantial plants that would fit the bill?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
If tree roots can split concrete, they can separate glass that only has silicone holding it together. You could try to make a Bonsai tree like thing in there so you could lift it out and trim off any roots which got long enough to reach the sides.
If that is 30" x 30" and 15 tall you can make a box out of good wood about 18cm x 18cm and about 12-13cm tall but drill holes in the sides so the roots can stick out.
A Cypress tree would work for this if you can find a small enough one and you make it into a Bonsai tree. The box would be filled with dirt and most of it would stay in it.
I have a Cypress tree growing in my house right now like this but not in an aquarium.
You could also find out from a garden/pond shop which type of plants would grow without dirt and also with part of it above the water surface and make a wreath out of stick type drift wood to go in the center of the tank and plant in it. If you use long stainless steel screws to hold the wood together it won't hurt the fish.
There are people on here who have plants growing in their filters which type I'm sure would work for you. I think if you look in the low tech pictures you can find some of them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Late night posting = forgotten dimensions. 31.5 wide x 15 deep x 31.5 high . I wish it was 31.5 w x 31.5 d x 15 h!
Husband pointed out the possible breakage point too... May rethink actual trees.

Your alternative ideas are great though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts