The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!

So I started this new 60g tank a week ago and the plant results are underwhelming. I'm still a newbie at this, but I set up a 12 and a 10 gallon previously and everything is well, no catastrophes (well, I guess it's time to learn from new mistakes).

See below even Anubias (especially 3rd pic) is not doing too good. Those scratch-like marks on the leaves were not there when I planted it. The Ludwigia is about to become a mess with large dark green areas on the leaves. Wisteria (somewhere in the background) seems to be the most unaffected but I'm worried anyways at this point.

The filter used is an API Rena Filstar M stuffed with whatever comes by default (their activated carbon, etc) plus Zeolite Ammonia remover and Nitra Zorb.

Tank went already through a first phase of getting cloudy, is clearer now. No fish.

Light is 2 x GroBeam Ultima 1500, 8 hours a day.

Gravel is a combination of FloraMax with the new National Geo black gravel Petsmart is caring now, on top. I have a gut feeling I made a mistake here; maybe it has to do with not looking the way I expected it.

There is no CO2, I dose Florish Excel, Florish, Seachem Iron, and for the last days (on a panic) Seachem Potassium and Phosphorus - 'cause I read something somewhere. I know, it sounds very scientific :).
I followed the instructions on the bottles and doing the math for my tank size but this is my weak point since I'm not an expert on dosage yet so I guess somebody's gonna yell at me for going at it rather "let's-see-what-happens". Or is gonna tell me to go and buy _another_ Seachem product (what am I, a chem lab? :icon_bigg). Honestly I was expecting to have more time and observe how the plants are doing and read and react. But not like going obviously bad in a week.

Water parameters:

Ph - 6.8 (this is surprising to me since the water at the faucet here is 7.8 and I was never really able to lower it in the smaller tanks I have (again 10 and 12g) just by putting in driftwood and plants; here it dropped a unit in 5 days)
Ammonia - 0.25 (probably closer to 0, I erred on the caution side)
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
GH - 50-100
KH - 50

What am I missing? Appreciate any words of wisdom!

·
Registered
97 Posts
0 ppm nitrates is not good for plant growth. I would sughest to remove the activated carbon and nitrasorb from your filter amd add some ceramic rings and sponge media in it. The activated carbon is absorbing the nutrients from your water column. You can also get rid of the zeolite because. it has probably exhausted its capacity by now. Add something like bio balls or coarse / fine sponge. This will help in both mechanical amd biological filtration. As there are no fish in the tank you will have to dose macros and micros regularly. For micros you can use seachem flourish and for macros you can use lab grade chemicals. you cn use EI for dosing the plants. Follow a regular dosing schedule with excel and your plants should do well.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Can you post better photos of the damage on the plants? The photos are blurry or low res and the details are not clear.

I have not heard any reviews on the light fixtures you have, I hope they are adequate since many LED brands are no good for plants.

The sword plants are emersed grown and the round leaves will die off. The plant with put up new long swors-like leaves when it adapts to bring grown underwater.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts