The Planted Tank Forum banner

New 55G Sunfish tank

3368 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  stevenjohn21
Hey guys. I got this tank from the Petco dollar per gallon sale and I always wanted a native sunfish tank so that's where i started. I got the tank about 4 weeks ago and picked up two HOB filters. I let it cycle of course with a crayfish. Don't worry he is still alive and well.
I don't know if this counts as a planted tank but oh well, it will get more plants as I go. I just caught these sunfish yesterday and they already ate some worms and crickets about an hour ago. I love these guys already, they are like big cichlids. Not as aggressive as everyone puts them out to be. I think i have a male and a female Green sunfish so i think it keeps the large green busy. Well anyways here is some photos. I will try to keep up with this journal! Try! haha.

These photos do no justice to the true color and beauty of these big guys.
& sorry for the quality. I need a good camera...

See less See more
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
COOL DEAL!

I kept Red Ears that we caught in th perch trap when I was a kid! Did good till they got to big for the tank they were in, and Parents wouldn't get me a bigger tank for "Perch!" LOL We still catch BABY PERCH 1" or smaller in minnow traps in spring and summer! Heck I might give them a try when I get a tank to replace my 55g!

Good Luck!
Drew
Mine switched over to cichlid pellets very easily! Still feed live every once and a while though!
Hmm cool. I think i will start on live, switch to frozen with one of those "Lunch Boxes" for Oscars then go to a variety of pellets. I still am looking for a more colorful sunfish to be the final fish. Just came back from the Chattahoochee River but with no luck on anything colorful but i did catch a small catfish. Will try again tomorrow ;)
No luck today but i did get a very small common pleco for the tank in the future. He was only a dollar so i had to get him, I was going to get one anyways but a large one. I also got a Penguin 660 Powerhead, its pretty cool you can run some airline tubing to the surface that somes with it and it blows tiny bubbles across the whole tank. It was on sale for only 11$! Regularly 44$, so i think thats a pretty sweet deal.
ANNND I got some Melafix to help repair some of the sunfish's fins.

Maybe a feeding video tomorrow of live crickets and worms. ;)
Looking for more colorful Long-eared sunfish? Try Brian Zimmerman. Search for him using his name and "central Missouri Lepomis melanotis. These things are gorgeous. He raises them and they will be available in September.
Bill
Gorgeous fish but I am looking for a certain fish I caught years ago. I don't know the identification of the fish but it had more red, orange and yellow. Hopefully I find it again before falls hits.
On a side note, I went to a lake near my house and I noticed that all along the shores in this coves where covered in some sort of dwarf hairgrass! Both submerged and emmersed. I even pulled some out for close examination. I will be bringing some home on my next trip there.
Gorgeous fish but I am looking for a certain fish I caught years ago. I don't know the identification of the fish but it had more red, orange and yellow. Hopefully I find it again before falls hits.
Maybe a red breasted sunfish or a pumkinseed ? I had a 75 gallon native tank that still to this day was my favourite but they just outgrew the tank and became too aggresive so i threw them in a family members pond. I was thinking of doing this again but with smaller natives..... something like Rainbow darters , its amazing how much color these native fish have and are overlooked in favour of the tropical fish.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.