The Planted Tank Forum banner

New 55 gallon planted setup?

5422 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  happi
Hello all! I am somewhat new to the hobby. I am looking to get a 55 gallon tank that will be planted. What I want is a setup where I could grow just about anything IF I wanted to. I found an aquaticlife T5 HO Dual lamp 108 W light fixture and was wondering if this is adequate for what I am looking for? If not does anyone know of any other great fixtures out there that will suit me well for medium high - high light. I am already looking into c02 and found a place down the road that sells and refills canisters. The only problem is they are on the small side.. 5 LB tanks. My other question is about how long would a 5 LB tank last for a 55 gallon? Also, I noticed a newer product called EXCEL? Does this work well in place of a C02 system? Thanks in advance for your help!
Nick
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Premium Member
377 Posts
A 108 watt T5HO light is plenty for a 55. You'll need to have an good pressurized Co2 system and regular fert dosing unless you want algae. I had a similar setup on my own 55, and all plants grew quickly. I wouldn't bother with excel. It works well, but gets expensive on larger tanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.