The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, its been a LONG time since I've been on here but I'm looking forward to getting back into the game.

I just bought a new 40g breeder tank and it looks great. I'm just trying to decide whether to go with a 156w ( http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-LIGHT-...3ef8cf3f96&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_4001wt_958 ) or a 96w ( http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-LIGHT-...3ef8d5d19c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_3847wt_958 ) lighting setup. I think the 96w would be plenty and will be cheaper. Any reason to go with the 156w setup (I do like the moon lights though!)? I have a pressurized c02 setup but at the same time I don't want to cause a lot of headaches by the ultra high output lights.

Any tips/input/suggestions?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
One single T5HO light, with the usual highly polished aluminum reflector, will give you around 90 micromols of PAR at the substrate, with that 16 inch deep tank. That is high light intensity. The 18" front to back depth means you would want two of those T5HO lights spaced at least 6-8 inches apart in order to get reasonably uniform intensity in the tank. Any closer than that an you are in the very high light range.

Odyssea lights are not in the same league as Tek lights or even Catalina lights, but they would still give you far more light than you can use on that tank.

The 96 watt PC version would give less light, but it is only 3 inches wide, so getting uniform lighting at the substrate would require raising the fixture several inches above the tank. And, again, it is Odyssea, not Tek or even Catalina. It isn't likely to have much of a reflector if it has any at all. That would keep the intensity down to reasonable levels. You could possibly get by with two of those spaced 6 inches or more apart, and raised a few inches. Then you could say you have 4.8 watts per gallon, if that is important to you.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Are the newer Odyssea lights worth getting if you are on a budget. I know people complain about them, but I think the newer ones are suppose to be better.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FloridaFishGuy - I bought a 65w Odyssea light way back went and it worked great and the reflector wasn't horrible, sure its probably not as good as some of the better brand ones but if you just get a little higher output one than you need, your still saving money

Hoppy - Thanks for replying Hoppy, I remember you from WAY back when, glad to see your still at it. So are you recommending me to get the 156w T5 or the 96w unit. I guess I am really asking the question of how many WPG is really necessary. Also I am asking the question of whether intensity is an issue, because the 156w is really 39w x 4 and the 96 is 48w x 2...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at the 36" 2x39w. I just wish the shipping was much cheaper. Both Aquatraders and ebay come out to about $60 with shipping. At that price I would feel better getting the fishneedit fixture.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you get that one anytime soon, let me know how it is. Also, you might want to check out THIS. Catalina has great lights and I asked and they will make it 36" if you put it in the comment section when ordering. It will be about $30-40 more because if shipping, but has quality parts.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright I think I'm just going to splurge and get the Cataline 3x39w setup, its going to be about 215$ shipped with the moonlights I want but will give me the ability to run each light on its own individual timer and will give me good reflectors in the unit

I hope the extra $$$ pays off

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
K I'm stuck with this decision for now...

1x96w PC Coralife ~ 85$
2 - 1x96w PC Coralife's spread 6 inch apart ~ 160$
4x39w T5 Odyssea w/ moonlights ~ 130$
3x39w T5 Catalina ~ 165$

any input... I'm totally torn right now!

Another consideration, T5 HO bulbs last longer, run cooler and are usually cheaper. Go with the Catalina.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts