The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

New to the forum and new to the world of planted tanks, I am loving all the information available. Started my 29G build on Aug 12. The following is my current set up:
  • Aqueon Standard Breeder 29 Gallon Glass Tank
  • Eheim 2213 Canister Filter with Media
  • Eheim Thermocontrol 100W Heater
  • Glass Lilly Pipe and Surface Skimmer
  • NICREW RGB Plus 36" Light 1190lm
  • Fluval Stratum Substrate Base with Seachem Flourite Black Sand in Areas
Lighting is on the 24/7 Mode, with lighting beginning to simulate sunrise at 6AM and turning off completely at 12AM. Water is currently being heated to 80. I have been alternating dosing Excel and Flourish according to the bottle.

Today is officially Day 14 of starting this tank. Have been monitoring levels with the API kit, however a bit confused as to what has been going on. Can anyone give me some expertise of how they interpret my readings?

Colorfulness Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern

Also, as of a couple days ago I started to notice what I believe to be Hair Algea? As of this morning it just continues to explode with more and more taking over.
How do I handle this algea growth? Is it normal? Should I be doing anything differently?

Also noticed these tiny little clear snails on some of my plants, this morning was the first time seeing them. Should I be worried? Do I need to remove them?

I attached a bunch of pictures for references. Sorry for all the questions!
Plant Pet supply Aquatic plant Output device Grass Water Nature Plant Natural landscape Vegetation Plant Botany Wood Vegetation Terrestrial plant Plant Houseplant Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable Grass Plant Leaf Twig Wood Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
181 Posts
Your tank is cycling still. Continue to wait. Eventually, the ammonia will be consumed and no nitrites will show, just nitrates. Back your photo period down to 8 hours. This should help a bit with algae, that said, algae is pretty normal in such new tanks. Remove it manually or spot dose Excel in the worst areas.

You are probably seeing bladder snails/ pond snails. They shouldn't be a problem, some can eat healthy plants, but bladder and ramshorns just stick to eating decay. Remove them or keep them, your choice.

All that said, you are on track. Just continue to wait and things will stabilize. You might want to start low dosing the tank with fertilizer.

·
Registered
269 Posts
You should definitely cut out on light period. The sunrise and sunset imitation is pretty much a toy. 7-8 hours a day is normal especially for a tank that's not stable yet.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
404 Posts
Agreed with above posts. But to add to the sunrise and sunset, this can actually benefit algae and not plants. It's too low light for them but algae is greedy and will take what it can. If you want it, wait a good month or two for your tank to establish before using those settings.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nitrates are kinda high, I would do a 50% water change. Your ammonia should be reading 0 soon and at that point you should continue to add some ammonia to keep it at 1-2ppm.

Those look like a ramshorn and bladder snail. They're not bad and kinda cool if you keep their population from exploding.

I think I'm also on week two or three of my cycle, 20 gallon as well. My tank cycles ammonia completely overnight, just waiting for the nitrites to go down. I've read that doing water changes at this stage can help because high nitrite levels can slow down the cycle, plus you're gonna have a butt load of nitrates soon, so it's good to get some of that out.

Easy way to clean hair algae is to swirl it with some aqua scaping tongs. But yea cut down the lighting to 6-8 hours, or get some floaters to help shade the tank a little.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Nitrates are kinda high, I would do a 50% water change. Your ammonia should be reading 0 soon and at that point you should continue to add some ammonia to keep it at 1-2ppm.

Those look like a ramshorn and bladder snail. They're not bad and kinda cool if you keep their population from exploding.

I think I'm also on week two or three of my cycle, 20 gallon as well. My tank cycles ammonia completely overnight, just waiting for the nitrites to go down. I've read that doing water changes at this stage can help because high nitrite levels can slow down the cycle, plus you're gonna have a butt load of nitrates soon, so it's good to get some of that out.

Easy way to clean hair algae is to swirl it with some aqua scaping tongs. But yea cut down the lighting to 6-8 hours, or get some floaters to help shade the tank a little.
Also in the same boat, week 4 of my cycle on my 20 long. Been ammonia free for weeks but nitrites won't drop. I also read about high nitrites slowing things down. Finally seeing some progress after I started changing water to keep nitrites in the "light purple"

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2 cents. It will probably take a much longer time for the nitrifying bacteria to grow. Just be patient. Add some areration for a while. Your readings are typical of a start up tank. Your ammonia will gradually drop to zero and your nitrite will too. Nitrates will always be the problem so does the phosphates as well.
Get a plenum or an undergravel filter for the longer run for a more stablized balance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts