The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post here. :)

I recently just set up a 29 gal planted tank and im trying to figure out what to put in it. The tank will eventually have a carpet of dwarf hairgrass and java moss "trees" with driftwood. Its only been set up for a few days now so it is not cycled yet, but im just pitching for ideas now so I can start keeping an eye out on what to look for.

I would very much like to go with semi-aggressive fish. The ones that I am most interested in are:

Angels
Gouramis
Raphael Catfish (or any other catfish you recommend!)
Glass (Ghost) Catfish
Kuhli Loach, Clown Loach, Dojo, any kind of loach etc (again, recommend me!)
Various shrimps (what do you recommend?)
Electric Blue Ram Cichlid and Angel Rams
Betta
Leaf Fish
Any kind of shark (redtail, rainbow, roseline, etc)
Panda cory cats
Silver Dollars

This is just what I want to try to pick from, but I would not object to other ideas as well. Im trying to stay away from "easy" peaceful fish like mollies and platys, Id like to try my hand at something new. :) I am particularly interested in the ram cichlids as well as the cats and angels.

Any other tips as far as setting up a semi aggressive planted tank would be appreciated as well!:grin2:

EDIT: added more fish im interested in adding.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Loaches and Dwarf cichlids such as rams, kept with shrimp is a definite no. The loaches and cichlids will kill the shrimp in no time. I also wouldnt really consider cory cats too be Semi Aggressive.

If it were me I would do:
A pair of pearl gouramis
A spotted Hoplo Catfish
A pair of dwarf cichlids (Rams, Kribensis, apistos)
A BN Pleco
A nice school of Dwarf Praecox Rainbow fish

Thats just me though

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you want to do semi aggressive you cannot do shrimp. Maybe you could get away with a long armed shrimp, but even then he could eat your fish or they could eat him.

Silver dollar get way to big.

Those freshwater sharks get way to big.

Betta should not be considered semi aggressive, they actually tend to get picked on.

Kuhli loaches are very peaceful.

If you go with german rams realize they need very high temps, which can eliminate other options.

I love Glass Catfish, but I would not consider them to be semi aggressive either. Maybe a school of eight, because they NEED to be together and then a pair of pearl Gouramis? you could also do the corys or loaches with these guys. Although some loaches are little devils like skunk loaches and others are really chill like kuhli loaches and sometimes dwarf loaches.

I would do a lot more research zielo, your list has a lot of non semi aggressive types, species only types, special condition types, and a couple that cannot even live happily in a 29 gallon aquarium.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I apologize as I may need to elaborate, the list I compiled wasnt intended to be ALL semi-aggressive fish. I know cory cats and glass cats are schooling for example etc. What I meant is that I would PREFER to go with semi-aggressives and I know some peaceful fish CAN go with them, but im still learning about what can and cant and whatnot. Which is the purpose of this post, so I can get ideas and input on what to do and what not to do. I didnt mean to sound dumb and reckless, but I am uneducated, so feel free to educate me! :)

Ive been doing research bit by bit on specific types of fish but I have not looked into all the ones on my list YET. Again, the purpose of this post was to scout for fish to put in my tank so that I dont get too attached to the idea of putting a shark that gets too big in my 29 gal for example (I wouldnt). This is sorta my PRE-research.

So now knowing that any shark gets too big, sharks are off my list. I can do without any shrimp if it means I can do rams and other semi-aggressives. Im just looking for a place to start essentially, this is my first time touching up on anything remotely aggressive.

You mentioned that rams need higher temps that other fish typically wouldnt be able to survive in. What other fish CAN go with rams in a 29 gal with their temps, if any? If the rams are too needy, than I will (regrettably) cross them off my list, but I am just gathering information.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Research water parameter's for fish that interest you, and compare with water you will be using for water changes and that can most easily be re-produced.
This will usually be from your tap.
Research compatible fish, suitable tank size ,Temp, GH,diet requirement's,and or temperament of fish that might work.
29 gal is not all that big for aggressive or semi aggressive fish that must all share same space with maybe fishes that would be intimidated, or outright harassed to death.
German blue ram is NOT an aggressive or semi aggressive fish with anything other than tiny shrimp,or another male or female Ram.
Were it me,and it ain't I would be looking at small,peaceful shoaling species, with perhaps a honey gourami or Pearl gourami as center piece fish for 29 gal.
Would want four foot long tank for aggressive or semi aggressive fish larger than 4 inches as adult's.
Good excuse for starting another tank.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I concur with what others are saying. Loaches + shrimp = 0 shrimp + happy loaches. Clown loaches get huge and need 120 gallons plus. Kuhlis are always fun. If you catch them shortly after lights out, they are usually playing around. One of my personal favorite loaches is yoyo loaches, although some can be little stinkers and pick on other fish. I've never had this happen personally. If you are looking for a chill cichlid, you might want to look into apistogrammas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far, what Im thinking is...:

-6 glass cats OR hatchetfish
-5 kuhli loach OR 5 zebra loach OR 6 corys (undecided what kind of corys yet, want panda but believe they need cooler temps. Can I mix corys AND loaches or can it only be one or the other for a 29g?)
-2 electric blue rams OR 1 angel OR 1 pearl/honey/gold/opaline etc gourami "centerpiece fish" (do genders matter? Im seeing different things on this. I would love any centerpiece fish recommendation. I am iffy on the rams now knowing that they need higher temps)
-1 peacock gudgeon (maybe?)

Also, my tank is going to have a dwarf hairgrass carpet. Is that going to affect having bottom dwellers?

How is that so far? I did a little more research and came up with these but I still need to fill in the blanks on what else I can stock with these choices. Im really starting to love the idea of loaches more than the rams so I may pick them over the rams if it comes down to it. My LFS recently got zebra loaches in and I fell in love, but I would also like kuhlis or a cory school too. Id love to do a mix of both but I dont think that is recommended? Glass cats are just neat, but I am unsure of if a school would go well with the loaches/a centerpiece fish. Im iffy on the gouramis being a centerpiece fish but they seem like the smarter choice so far compared to what everyone is saying.
Im not too keen on tetras or rasboras as I am seeing them on every list so far. Also not interested in any sort of pleco. Ive also pretty much tossed the idea of shrimp out the window, unless somehow my tank goes into a completely different direction away from any semi-aggressive fish. Which, I am not 100% against. I mainly just want a tank of interesting uncommon fish, to me tetras, mollies, platies, etc are a bit boring.

Bare with me haha, im still learning. Im still doing research though.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
You can mix kuhlis and corys. Just be careful mixing other corys with pandas, they have a proclivity for going over the species barrier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts