The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I was wanting to do some dwarf baby tears and I thought they needed like 3wpg?
Watts is a measure of electric consumption.

Also the lights that Steve001 suggested seem easier and cheaper. Is there something that is frowned upon by them?

Thanks for quick responses
The spiral cfl I pointed out I don't think is known too be available by many. I'm the only one on this forum that mentions them. The reason I chose the 50 watt bulb version is it's appropriate for my size tank.
It has a high color rendering index and good PAR. It produces a white light with high apparent brightness. And it fits in a pendant style light fixture. I used a Fluker's Sun Dome.

I don't care for lights that sit on the tank or are rectangular in style since my tank is a column tank, pretty much square in shape. Another reason I chose this light is because I wanted a light that rendered plants and fish in their natural colors as closely as possible as natural sunlight does when it's shining on my tank. This light comes close.
Give the light a try and if it's not workable you can always install it somewhere else in your place.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Those screw-in CFL bulbs are a great way to light many tanks, but you do need more than just the bulb:biggrin: And, you need to decide whether you want them horizontal or vertical. You get a lot more light when they are vertical over the tank, in a dome-like reflector, but that takes some effort to make it look good. It isn't a plug and play option.

Using a Fluker's Sun Dome it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts