The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
2,269 Posts
I'd do the Finnex if I were you. In a 20 high that would put you at medium light. I know Hoppy is the resident lighting guru here, but I don't get the fishneedit thing. Yes it fits a niche of light intensity but with terrible reflectors, you are also burning power you could be saving with LED.

·
Banned
2,269 Posts
WPG is out the window. Its a very inaccurate way of looking at light. You need to look at PAR values. Look at the LED lighting sticky here in this forum. It talks about what PAR values are low, medium and high light.

I know nothing about the lights he suggested. I suggest LED because it is the new technology. Less power consumption, awesome effects on the water and no more replacing bulbs every year.

I hope you are planning on using CO2 as well.

I think that he tends to recommend them because they are cheap and because high quality T5HO are just too overpowered rather than because he really loves these fixtures specifically.
I just can't stand buying a cheap light that is more inefficient than needed. I would look around and find a LED with similar par values.

I don't mean to rain on anyones parade, or be a jerk to Hoppy. There could be something we are missing here. I don't know a whole lot about lighting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts