The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 20 gallon long from petsmart its 12.5 inches long, 30.25 inches wide and 13 inches high. I need help with lighting, I plan on going topless so I need something that will mount on the sides of the tank. I'd like something adjustable so I can raise and lower it to my plants needs. I was looking at T5HO or LED. I want medium to high light. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would look into LEDs. A 20l isn't deep enough to need tons of light to grow nice plants, and the savings over time with led vs. tube lighting are considerable. Plus I like the look of the led "shimmer."

Finnex is a good brand to consider, so is buildmyled.com if you want something ready out of the box. You can also try to build your own set up to make any type of light you desire.

I would suggest looking for something with multi colored LEDs so you can avoid having a washed out looking tank which has been a complaint in the past.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you go with a buildmyled fixture buy the dimmer. You'll need it on a 20 long. You will also need to buy their tank mounts if you want it to sit on the tank.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would look into LEDs. A 20l isn't deep enough to need tons of light to grow nice plants, and the savings over time with led vs. tube lighting are considerable. Plus I like the look of the led "shimmer."

Finnex is a good brand to consider, so is buildmyled.com if you want something ready out of the box. You can also try to build your own set up to make any type of light you desire.

I would suggest looking for something with multi colored LEDs so you can avoid having a washed out looking tank which has been a complaint in the past.
buildmyled is out of my price range, but I do like the 30inch finnex fugeray planted plus for around 85 bucks, that seems like more than enough light for what I want to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts