The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello PT- I know its all over here but wanted some expert advice from people who have done and perfected this hobby and can help me avoid pitfalls. I recently just relocated to the east from Ca. I immediatly notice that my love and hobby for salt water tanks can not continue due to the lack of LFS in my area. So I am going to try my hand in the planted scene. Currently have a 20 gal set up I picked up from Petsmart on sale and looking at starting the process with that tank. Money question...... am I going to have to upgrade the light. I do recall the light days from my saltwater tank and if I have to get anything remotley close to that light it may just change my mind quickly. Just starting out i would prefer to go with very easy/hardy plants (crypts etc.....).

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Welcome to tpt!

20 gallon high or long?

The light that comes with the tank may not be sufficient for anything more than anubias and java fern. So you should say your tank dimensions and the light that comes with it. Then we can recommend you plants, substrate, ect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to tpt!

20 gallon high or long?

The light that comes with the tank may not be sufficient for anything more than anubias and java fern. So you should say your tank dimensions and the light that comes with it. Then we can recommend you plants, substrate, ect.
Thanks Mitch, it's a 20 high that came with a single 15watt T8. Found a double 24w T5 that I picked up. Also purchased two medium pieces of driftwood and a Fluval CO2 set up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No not at this time. The tank is dry and hasn't been took together yet (was waiting for the Christmas tree to come down) so no substrate or ferts as of yet. What would you recommend?

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Well you have high light(i think) and a Co2 injection, so EI dosing would probably be needed IMO. For substrate i think that soil with a sand or pea gravel cap will give you the best substrate for plants with strong root systems like crypts, swords ect

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.