·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Long time since my last post.

For this project i decided to start with a 2.5g AGA

Equipment:
Coralife Mini-Aqualight, 2x9w (10,000k and 7200k)
Azoo Mignon 60 filter (i think it's the same as the Red Sea Nano filter)
2'' Flourite

Flora:
Hemianthus Callitrichoides "Cuba"
Staurogyne
Anubias nana on driftwood
Cladophora aegragropila

Fauna:
1 Crowntail Betta

Ferts:
Flourish, Flourish Iron and Flourish Excel

I have a couple of questions. First, is 2in too much for substrate? it looks like it's too much, maybe 1 to 1.5in would be ok? Is the aqualight enough for growing the HC and staurogyne? would i need Co2?

Thanks, update next weekend

Attachments

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I would leave the two inches, but remove some from the very front, to create more of a slope and reduce how very deep the substrate looks from the front.

18 watts is probably ok but on the lower end of light for HC. I'm growing HC now (slooooowly) under 18 watts.

Id go with CO2 if you want a lush lawn, however the Excel alone might be enough. Someone else will know better than me.

You say you're using Excel but you're also putting Clado in the tank? Since algae generally does not appreciate Excel dosing, you might reconsider the moss ball.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks FrostyNYC

I have the cladophora in my 10g and i dose excel, about 1ml daily, and haven't seen any ill effects on it.

By the way, my anubias in the 10g has green spots on many leaves, i tried removing it by rubbing the leaves with my fingers but with no results. What can i do? It's growing very nicely. I'll try to upload a pic soon.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Green spot algae is tough to remove. Nerites eat it, though, so you could introduce a nerite into the tank. Otherwise, use a papertowel to delicately rub away at the spots until they disappear... if you can get them off.

Dosing phosphate is supposed to keep it from spreading.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies

What other plants could i use?
My LFS has in stock a plant called Bacopa Caroliniana, anyone has experience with that?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I heard that HC usually dies/melts when dosing excel, and that it needs Co2
I used to dose excel in my 2.5g, with no ill effects to the HC, which carpeted the entire front half of my tank in about 3 weeks. But I do use DIY Jello CO2..and with how easy it is, I would definitely recommend it to everyone. I've had it going for 2 months, and am just now about to have to make new Jello. I've only changed the yeast/water mix in it twice, and have had a consistent stream the entire time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jello Co2? never heard of it, can you provide me with instructions? how good does it work? do you have problems with the fungus-like thing of the yeast method?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all

New update

Finally managed to mount the mini coralife on the tank, used some old Odyssea mounting legs and glued them to a sheet of glass.

Current stock:
1 Anubias nana on driftwood
1 Cryptocoryne wendtii "Green"
4 Japanese moss balls

Fauna:
I'm hoping to get a new betta tomorrow

Opinions and advice welcome

PS. How can i get rid off the GSA on the anubias leaves? should i trim them? Thanks

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.