The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who read my 10 gallon journal, I broke down my 2.5 gallon and added my shrimps to my peacock gudgeon tank and they were promptly all eaten. Se la vie. That left me with an empty 2.5. I decided to test my plants emersed and see how there growth would differ.

Lighting: 16+- hours a day with a 13 watt screw-in CF
Substrate: Amazonia I
Ferts: None
Water: Daily misting with my soft/acidic NYC water
Flora: M.minuta, Hygro sp. 'bold', Java fern 'windelov', and Java fern 'needle leaf'

The M.minuta has always done poorly in my tanks, but emersed, Im seeing immediate growth. I've had this up for a week, and I have a number of new leaves. One of the new leaves came up segmented. As it transitions to emersed form, I expect more segments leaves and eventially tall four-leaf clovers. The Windelov is starting up two new leaves. It was melting in my 10 gallon after I added it there. Probably because the pH in my 10 gallon is 5.5. I pulled it out, put it in this emersed setup, and the melting stopped completely. And now the new leaves. The needle leaf is not doing much of anything. Maybe the water its in is too deep. I read that emersed java ferns need their roots in standing water. The hygro bold did nothing for 5 days, and in the last two days I have some tiny new leaves. Very maroon in color, and much smaller than the old leaves.

I'll continue to update as these things transition to emersed growth. They're some of my favorite plants, so this will be interesting.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Beware! 2.5 gallons will soon turn into 10 gallons. Then 20 gallons. Emersed tanks are just as addictive as aquariums ;)

Looks good! Before you know it, that Hygro will take over. Plants grow way faster emersed than submersed.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never had a heater in my tanks, and I'm also stingy with heat & AC. My tanks hover around 68-70 in the winter and 75-82 in the summer.

The light keeps them a little warm. I'm fairly certain that these plants would be totally fine in 65 degree temps. I guess I'll find out this winter!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts