The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its true I have the best boyfriend EVER! he just landed home with a juwel 180liter (48 gallons). Happy christmas to me!!!

I already have the juwel 240 which is fully planted with rainbows and angelfish. and a wall aquarium with smaller community fish.

I always wanted to have a tank with 1large striking fish but the lack of a tank to fit one was an issue. but no longer! whoohooo!

anybody got any suggestions of large fish that could live comfortably in this tank? Theres research to be done! :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you want sort of a wet pet i would suggest a red hi fin wolf fish, very owner interactive. Clown knife, oscar, and jaguar will all outgrow that tank.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you want sort of a wet pet i would suggest a red hi fin wolf fish, very owner interactive. Clown knife, oscar, and jaguar will all outgrow that tank.
Clown knife will not out grow this tank I have kept them in 55-60 gallon tanks for years and they grow out fully. Same with an oscar's and Jag's they only reach 12-15" total.
Plenty of room.

·
Registered
49 Posts
how wide is the 48 gallon, if it is 12 inches, than no way to any of those, and if it is 18 inches wide then you might get away with an oscar but i definatly wouldn't, also an oscar will probably dig up plants, and a jaguar will get to 18 inches and a clown knife can get to 2 feet. also, what happened to your clown knife??

·
Registered
369 Posts
how wide is the 48 gallon, if it is 12 inches, than no way to any of those, and if it is 18 inches wide then you might get away with an oscar but i definatly wouldn't, also an oscar will probably dig up plants, and a jaguar will get to 18 inches and a clown knife can get to 2 feet. also, what happened to your clown knife??
The clown knife is still alive at a doctors home as I got out of the hobby for some time.(now back)
He's dong fine in a 100 gallon breeder style, and is a humungous 21" and still growing probably. He loves being the center of attention there with the several kids the doctor has.

I don't think the OP is even thinking about whether plants would be included in this new tank. (never really said)

55/60 gallons are not all that wide, but both fish did fine and grew to full adulthood sizes, and lived for many years. I guess it works around this, I changed 50% water every 5-7 days, fed goldfish every other day, and had huge filters that filtered the water no less than 10 times per hour(Oscars, and Jag's tanks).

When properly maintained big fish can and will get quite large in smaller than average quarters, only being stopped from growing by the overall feeding/maintenance routines rather than size of the tank.

But this is all just banter as the op could just keep any fish for as long as she wanted and trade it off to a LFS when she got bored as most people do when they have a big fish in a big tank.(I did not of course but I am the exception, rather than the rule):)

·
Registered
369 Posts
So you think its ok to keepa 21 inch fish in a 48 inch long and only 12 inch wide tank?!?!
Read again, did not say it was 21" in my tank. It reached about 15" in that tank I kept him in. which was 4' in length and 2'x2'

The tank it is in now is 5' long, and plenty wide enough for the knife to turn around and move about.

But again, your just bantering because you have an opinion, one which you have stated already, and most people probably are not interested in hearing again and again and again. If you must banter start you own thread.

Drop it for this thread sake, move on.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Jaguar cichlids have huge personality & great color. You could get a juvenile one till it grows to around 6 inches, then you'd need a bigger tank

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Do yourself a favor, don't get an oscar, or anything that can easily obtain more than a foot in length. Its just a bad idea, and quiet honestly, most of the large fish previously mentioned have a minumum of between a 4 foot tank, and a 6 foot tank.

If you want just a single centerpeice fish, might I suggest a jack dempsey? personable and they stay just under a foot, maxing generally at 10" or so, so they should fit okay into a 48 gallon tank. I say this having originally come from a forum specifically for larger fish, and having started out as a larger fish keeper myself, and trust me I've made many mistakes on the way there.

A nice electric blue jack dempsey would be perfect imho. But I'm not sure what is available to you in Ireland so that would be a big factor. But general rule, don't pic anything that gets much more than 8-10" if its only a 12" deep tank.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Texas Cichlid are an attractive, interactive, and interesting fish. I kept two all through college that grew to be 8-10". They were the only two survivors of the original six that I was given by a LFS that was going out of business.

I eventually donated them to the Bass Bro Shops in Garland off I-30 when I was living in Sunnyvale. They are still there and the biologist that keeps up with the large tanks told me recently that they are breeding now!!!

You really won't regret getting a Texas Cichlid or two! They are awesome!!!

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Texas Cichlid are an attractive, interactive, and interesting fish. I kept two all through college that grew to be 8-10". They were the only two survivors of the original six that I was given by a LFS that was going out of business.

I eventually donated them to the Bass Bro Shops in Garland off I-30 when I was living in Sunnyvale. They are still there and the biologist that keeps up with the large tanks told me recently that they are breeding now!!!

You really won't regret getting a Texas Cichlid or two! They are awesome!!!
For her tank though, I would only get one. Otherwise its a lot of waste being created in such a small space and if there are any aggression issues the weaker fish is screwed.

But a texas is a very nice cichlid that also would work. The thing in my profile picture, geophagus brasiliensis, would also probably work in that size tank.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I say Blood Parrot Cichlid! They are awesome to watch grow and change from grey, to yellow, to orange. These fish really do LOVE people. Mine watches me just as much as I watch him (if not more). He really gets excited when he sees me coming with a food container. lol

·
Registered
369 Posts
For her tank though, I would only get one. Otherwise its a lot of waste being created in such a small space and if there are any aggression issues the weaker fish is screwed.

But a texas is a very nice cichlid that also would work. The thing in my profile picture, geophagus brasiliensis, would also probably work in that size tank.

You seem to think fish cannot do well in water that is filtered properly and the fish fed well also.

For those who feel this way take a look at this tank with MORE fish than water. They are doing excellently and are quite healthy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bF7B-4aQdQ

To the OP: to find what you would like simply buy the fish with the coloration and lifestyle you can deal with for the tank. Most Larger fish can grow to big for an aquarium if the tank is not properly taken care of with heavy filtration and big water changes. but as you can see from the video big fish do LIKE larger aquariums but they can definitely do well with one fish per tank.(just do you water changes and filter heavily)

·
Registered
251 Posts
You seem to think fish cannot do well in water that is filtered properly and the fish fed well also.

For those who feel this way take a look at this tank with MORE fish than water. They are doing excellently and are quite healthy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bF7B-4aQdQ

To the OP: to find what you would like simply buy the fish with the coloration and lifestyle you can deal with for the tank. Most Larger fish can grow to big for an aquarium if the tank is not properly taken care of with heavy filtration and big water changes. but as you can see from the video big fish do LIKE larger aquariums but they can definitely do well with one fish per tank.(just do you water changes and filter heavily)
Those fish barely have swimming room! Would you like to be stuffed into a room with 30 other people and left there for the rest of your life? Geez

·
Registered
369 Posts
Those fish barely have swimming room! Would you like to be stuffed into a room with 30 other people and left there for the rest of your life? Geez
Gotcha!

I new you'd have something to say..

Always a pleasure..

That's not the point is it? Take one of the above mentioned fish like OSCARS, place in any tank over 36" long with high end filtration, and big water changes and that one fish will do just fine.

As for the foreign guy with the tank full of fish that was just a demo of his ability to maintain the tank well with such a heavy load, I never said it was "right" or "correct", or that I would do that myself did I? Read my post before making noise....Duh!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts