The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really liking my Waterbox 16 that I have cherry neos and a betta in so when they went on sale before Christmas I grabbed another. I started messing around with my dragon stone and had to stop at this point. I like it - I just purchased another 1 or 2 large rocks to add more height to the structure and plants. The substrate is fluorite capped with sand. I'll use tabs and liquid ferts as necessary.

Purchased plant list:

bucephalandra super mini catherinae (to put in the rock crevices) x 10 plants
bucephalandra rainbow marble (to put on some of the smaller single rocks mid ground) x 3 pots
helanthium bolivianum (to put on the front right corner maybe) x 1 pot

From an existing tank:

cryptocoryne wentii green geko (to put in the background) as many as I need.

I may pull other plants out of other tanks if I feel I need them when I get it up on the stand and water in it. I'm breaking down the 45g so the two 16s can be side by side in the living rm. It will have as much light as it needs and CO2. I've got a new Oase Thermo Smart 200 (with old media from an active canister). I think I'll use the supplied spray bar for awhile and see how that works. I may have to get some fittings to step down the hose dimensions to put in glass pipes.

Fish will be some danty corries and kuhli loaches on the bottom and harliquin rasboras in the mid to upper part. I'll be pushing stock capacity so I'm going to have to watch water parameters close for awhile.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Nice looking tank setup!

My only advice is to consider stainless steel pipes instead of glass. Sooo much easier to clean since you only need to occasionally wipe down the outside when doing a water change. Chihiros make a couple of models that would fit. Here is a link from amazon but they are also widely available on e bay and aliexpress.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My only advice is to consider stainless steel pipes instead of glass.
Thanks. I do have a set of stainless steel pipes, but they are too big for this tank. LOL. I do like the look too. Glass, though isn't too hard to clean except the 13mm inflow I have on the betta tank has a bend at the end I can't get past with the brush I have. I have a prefilter sponge there for the cherries on it anyway. I may look into the stainless...

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love the hardscape. Hope you'll update with pics once planted out. :)
Thank you. More work to do, but the tank is up and fish are in. I have to get the CO2 running - it's setup, but unplugged. I'll change the pipes to glass tonight after work. Some Buce and AR Mini are set to deliver tomorrow. I'm also looking to raise the light up off of both tanks in the living rm.

I was going to put the harlequins in, but decided to put the guppies that I had in the 6 gallon tank here. So I have 6 kuhli loaches, 4 dainty cories and a pair of guppies. Next time I go to Minneapolis I'll pick up more cories. The 4 in there were playing together yesterday as long as no one was near the tank.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's got plants and CO2 now. The ugly outflow pipe needs to come out this weekend. Also thinking of adding more of the buce catherinea mini to the big formation and maybe some more buce velvet or anubius nana petite in that corner where the pipe is now.

Plants:
Crypt wendtii green geko (and maybe a couple of others mixed in) in the back left corner
Buce catherinea mini & buce velvet on and around the rocks. There is one errant anubius nana petite I threw in there when I was moving tanks over the weekend.
Alternanthera reinikii mini in the mid-ground for color
I can't remember what the plant is in the front left - if anyone can id it please let me know.

Ferts: Nilocg Thrive + liquid. One squirt every other day.

Fish:
6 kuhli loaches
4 dainty cories (more to come next time I can make it down to Minneapolis)
1 pair of guppies

Substrate: Fluorite capped with sand.

Hardscape: Dragonstone only

Filter: Oase Filtosmart 200 with spray bar and ceramic media from another setup I took down.

Lighting: Fluval 2.0 Aquasky on 8 hrs & 40% - this will be swapped out next month when I get a new 3.0 Plant & Fresh.

Water Vertebrate Plant Wood Rectangle

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New plants came -

Plant List:
Anubias Nana Petite,
Rotala Rotundifolia Orange Juice,
AR Mini,
Crypt Wendtii Green Geko
Buce:
Brownie Jade
Velvet
Super Mini Catherinae

There is a little sword in there that I can't remember what it is. It's been small for a long time now...

I also swapped out the inflow/outflow for glass lily pipes and added inline CO2 last week.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New update on this dragon stone tank. The guppies were out competing the loaches and habrosus for food, most of that anubius got chewed up and died and I was sick just long enough to get string hair algae all throughout the tank. I decided to move the 2 guppies to their own 10g at least for a bit. I also planned to move and rescape the tank with different substrate. It took a bit of work as there are a lot of small plants, mostly buce, dwarf sag and crypts left. Almost everything went back in on top of Fluval Statum capped with some sand in front for ascetics. I'm up to 5 tanks in the basement and 1 in the living rm.

Here's the guppies too...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.