The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My plans for a 75g were dashed by my landlord :(, so on to Plan B. I have a 10g lying around that I can't stand seeing empty. Going for low tech, no CO2, as cost is a major limiting factor. Equipment is Aqueon 10 HOB filter with 100gph rating and 15W T-8 lighting. Will be scaping with river gravel, larger rocks, small terra cotta pot, and driftwood. Planting with Anubias Nana, Java Fern centerpiece, floating Indian Fern, and possibly some Java Moss.

Obviously most of the fish I had planned for my 75G are a no go in a 10G. I was thinking about 10-12 Neon Tetra's, 4 Red Cherry Shrimp, and 2 Nerite Snails.

I know this might be pushing it as far as bioload goes, but don't want to have a school of smaller than 10 Neons if I can get away with it. Would appreciate feedback on set up and stocking plan. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
youre fine with that set up. the usual rule of thumbs don't apply in most cases; i.e. I have a 29 gal tank with a pair of gold rams, 5 sterbai cories, 10 cory hastatus, 4 zebras, 4 lampeyes and 3 otos with amano and cherry shrimp, and the rams and cories are constantly breeding. the neons are a good number and the shrimp and snails should really not add much to the bio load. I say go ahead with it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
in my 10 gal i have
4 neon tetras
1 ember tetra
5 rummynose tetras
20-ish ghost shrimp
uncountable # of snails (maybe 20-30?)- multiplying by the second seems like!

everyone is happy/healthy. i think 10 or 12 neons would look great! all my tetras school together even though they are different. the rummynose remind me of a little soccer team :)

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
As long as you maintain a good water change regimen you should be fine.

May be a bit of a balancing act how much water to change how frequently to balance out the nutrient needs of the plants once they get established, but you should be able to figure it out by keeping an eye on the nitrates for a month or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts