The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone!

I am brand new to this forum and relatively new to the hobby. I decided to sign up after constantly reading topics and information from this site as I have found it to be a valuable resource.

I have attached a couple of pictures of my current tank to give you all a visual. It isn't my first tank technically but it is the first of this type. I have used ADA Amazonia I substrate with Power Sand M underneath for added nutrients in the long run. I am using a small canister filter and two 24W 65k bulbs recommended by a the guy at my LFS for all my growing needs. I do have a basic pressurized CO2 setup with drop checker and am awaiting the glass bubble counter and diffuser before dosing any more CO2. I purchased everything including the driftwood and plants at my LFS and the tank has been up for almost 2 weeks.

I had questions about how long it takes for a tank of this size to cycle but have pretty much figured it out from doing research on here I think. I introduced a couple of neons a couple days ago and a few Amano shrimp. All but one of the 6 shrimp climbed out of the top of my tank and dried up within two days ( need a lid I guess? ) and one of the neons has perished. The other guys is still living though and seems to be doing fine along with the last shrimp. Water changes have been about every other day since I filled it with water.

The plants all appear to be growing and there is plenty of algae growth already. I want to quell the algae growth sooner the better but I don't want to kill my stock either. I have a strip test kit that tests Nitrites, Nitrates, kH, pH, and water hardness and the water measures all within the "safe parameters" except it might be a tad high in nitrites. I am getting a little long winded here so these are the questions I have:

Should I introduce more fish/ shrimp and see if they survive?

What is the white fuzz type algae I find growing on my driftwood?

What are the small (1-2") worms that I am finding in my soil?! They stick their heads up out of the soil and are impossible to catch. I have read about some flat worms that are called "Planaria" that are white thread-like worms and I did notice some of those a few days ago but not since. I discovered these worms at the same time and was curious how they could already be in a tank that is less than 2 weeks old?

Any help and advice is much appreciated! Let me know if you require any further information from me regarding my questions. Look forward to hearing from some fellow enthusiasts!

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
For starters, I like your tank it looks really nice. I am relatively new to the hobby myself and I find it to be a rewarding and frustrating experience. The one thing that I could help you with is the Planaria issue you might have. When I first started my aquarium I noticed little white thread like worms swimming in the water and attached to my plants, after doing a little research I found that vacuuming the gravel and doing frequent water changes was able to get rid of my Planaria issue. I believe that my Planaria was caused by uneaten food that was left on my substrate, I purchased two Corey's and they have been keeping it nice and clean. I hope this helps, and once you figure this out you will find that something else will happen then something else and so on...But it is a great hobby and it will teach you patience for sure...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Primesix! To be honest I thought there would have been a few more responses on this forum... I guess I was just asking questions not worth answering? lol

Anyway I haven't noticed many more of the small white thread-like planaria lately. I do have some Amano and a couple of corys that I will be stocking here shortly. I just want to make sure I am finished cycling before adding so as not to kill the corys.

The other worms I have noticed in my tank are larger than the planaria and are kind of a greyish colour. They seem to be about 1-2 inches and they stick out of the soil with what I assume is their heads and just sway in the flow. I try to catch one with my pincers and it disappears then pops back up in a couple seconds. I have tried on numerous occasions to catch one with no success. I will try and photograph one next time I see one poking its head out.

I currently have three cardinals, a checker barb, an ottocinclus, and a couple small amano's in there and have been for a couple of days so I am thinking that I am close to being finished with the cycle. I don't know how to calculate the ammonia level in my tank but my nitrates are safe and my nitrites are slightly high. The fish don't seem to be stressed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks Primesix! To be honest I thought there would have been a few more responses on this forum... I guess I was just asking questions not worth answering? lol

Anyway I haven't noticed many more of the small white thread-like planaria lately. I do have some Amano and a couple of corys that I will be stocking here shortly. I just want to make sure I am finished cycling before adding so as not to kill the corys.

The other worms I have noticed in my tank are larger than the planaria and are kind of a greyish colour. They seem to be about 1-2 inches and they stick out of the soil with what I assume is their heads and just sway in the flow. I try to catch one with my pincers and it disappears then pops back up in a couple seconds. I have tried on numerous occasions to catch one with no success. I will try and photograph one next time I see one poking its head out.

I currently have three cardinals, a checker barb, an ottocinclus, and a couple small amano's in there and have been for a couple of days so I am thinking that I am close to being finished with the cycle. I don't know how to calculate the ammonia level in my tank but my nitrates are safe and my nitrites are slightly high. The fish don't seem to be stressed.
"Good Luck", That would be great if you can get a pic of the worm with its head out of the substrate...

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Sorry for the lack of responses to your questions, I have noticed the forum is somewhat slow over the weekends.

if your ammonia and nitrite are in the safe and you have some nitrates but not a ton then you might be cycled although 2 weeks seems to be too short of a time for cycling, usually takes at least 4 weeks, the plants may be playing a role.

You can reduce the nitrate by doing a water change.

If should be safe to add more fish. I like to recommend starting the most hardy fish you plan to add, put them in wait 2 weeks, then add the next hardiest and so on till the tank is stocked.

I'm not sure why the shrimp would have climbed out, I have cherry shrimp in bowls and they could easily crawl out but have not done so. If you were running CO2 at the time they did that I would suspect your CO2 was too high.

I wouldn't worry about the worms. Fish will eat them if they manage to catch them.

The white stuff on the wood is most likely fungus and from what I have read from other accounts is that it will eventually go away.

If you have algae issues I would expect it to be a result of the light and CO2 not being balanced. Get the bubble counter and diffuser hooked up and get some CO2 going and that should help. I'm not a CO2 and light expert though, so i could be wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.